Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amylo 300

Hi Folks,
    I'm looking to get another 1-1.5 point drop on a beer that finished higher than expected. Has anyone used Amylo 300 post fermentation with success, and if so what was the dosing rate/technique used? Thanks in advance.

Because enzymes are not consumed during their reactions, you would take that beer to 100% fermentable and may find that you overshoot your target. You may be better off re-brewing now than waiting for it to maybe get fixed.

Comment

Thanks Jebzter. This is a bit of a last resort which is why I was considering the enzymes. I understand that its a risk but was wondering if with a proper dose it would be possible to get to my gravity. Is it that any amount of the enzyme will cause me to overshoot the final gravity?

Comment

Yes, once you add the enzyme, it will find the places to do its work and do them. The amount you add will only change the speed at which they work, but they will ultimately turn every starch and complex sugar into glucose.

Comment

Originally posted by jebzter View Post
          Yes, once you add the enzyme, it will find the places to do its work and do them. The amount you add will only change the speed at which they work, but they will ultimately turn every starch and complex sugar into glucose.
          Exactly. You must deactivate your enzyme with heat or it will keep going. In addition, it will be in the yeast that you harvest.

Comment

Thanks guys. Not sure how I'd be able to heat it up without oxidizing it. Would crash cooling it when it hits the FG to stop the yeast from consuming the sugars work? Or would it leave the beer tasting off because there is still fermentable sugar?

Comment

It will remain active and whilst you have the smallest amount of yeast in there, the yeast will ferment it. If you remove the yeast, the enzyme is liable to continue working and make the beer slightly sweet, and lacking body because it will convert any residual dextrins that give the body, to glucose.

And as mentioned before, if you reuse the yeast cropped after adding the AMG, then some enzyme will be transferred to the next brews and affect the fermentability of those ones as well. If you are not repitching but using fresh yeast every time then obviously this is not a problem. But don't mix beers or clean the kit poorly either.
              dick

Comment

I actually had some luck adding about 40ml of Amylo 300 to a 10bbl batch of adjunct heavy lager And roused the beer with co2 15 days into fermentation when it got stuck at 2.5. It dropped to 1.8

Comment

Working...
                X