Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little New Zealand beer tourism

Hey all,
    Heading to New Zealand mid February for a month long tour of the south island, but starting in Wellington. Has anyone been to this region before and can provide any suggestions as far as breweries are concerned? Would also love to tour some hop farms, I'm just unsure of how to go about doing so (if this is at all possible). Any input would be greatly appreciated! Also if anyone is local and would like to chat to a fellow brewer over a pint or two, let me know!
    -Cheers

Google

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ckr View Post
      Google

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Looking to connect with local brewers and folks people who have experienced this part of the world. Thanks for taking time out of your day to add to the conversation.

Comment

I have only heard good things about Garage Project

Comment

I have nothing to offer but do request that you make sure to report back. We are headed there next year and would love to get some info on breweries. I was there ten years ago but Speights and Export were the only beers readily available and within our budget.

Comment

Without being snarky, Google really is your best bet. The post here might get you some responses, but you're best off cross-referencing breweries with your proposed itinerary, and then just cold calling them. I have had good luck doing this in Canada and the US. One caveat: If you're primary interest is just beer tourism, I'd stick to places that have organized tours and not bother the owners/brewers with emails. If you're doing research or outreach (my purpose), however, I've found brewers to be incredibly gracious and generous with their time and advice. Make sure you buy some beer from them or bring a gift as a thank you to the people giving up their time to help you out.

The NZ brewers' guild listing is a good place to start: <http://brewersguild.org.nz/breweries>. There is also an organized NZ brewery tourism portal: <http://www.beertourist.co.nz/index.html>.

Good luck!

Jason

Comment

I went out that way, yeesh, almost two years ago now. And despite the snark above actually hooked up with some brewers beforehand via Probrewer. Spent a week in Wellington, another week around the North Island. Can't speak to the South.

In Wellington:

Wellington is an excellent beer city. Check out this first: http://craftbeercapital.com/

Ok, so I went to most of the Better Beer Bars in town over the week. Without playing favorites (didn't really go anywhere that I was super disappointed):

Bars:

Don't miss the Malthouse. Ok, playing favorites a little.

The Hop Garden was cool, liked the garden. I liked Golding's Free Dive and Hashigo Zake. Rogue and Vagabond has a really cool spot. If the weather's nice you can take a pint to the neighboring park out front (which blew my Washington Liquor Control Board Regulation Abiding Mind.) Many other good beer spots around town.

Breweries:

Garage Project makes amazing beers. Great marketing too, check out their labels.

The guys at Parrot Dog were great to chat with, and make some fine brews.

Took a train trip out to Upper Hutt to visit Kereru Brewing. Chris is making some really interesting beers out there using native NZ ingredients.

Fork and Brewer is a fine little brewpub.

Other stuff: I did enjoy some of Liberty Brewing's beers on draft and in bottles. Sauvignon Bomb was verrrry niiiice.

Advanced warning: beer in NZ is twice the price it is in the states. Just make peace with that and hope for a good exchange rate!
              Russell Everett
              Co-Founder / Head Brewer
              Bainbridge Island Brewing
              Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Originally posted by PoorSon View Post
                Hey all,
                Heading to New Zealand mid February for a month long tour of the south island, but starting in Wellington. Has anyone been to this region before and can provide any suggestions as far as breweries are concerned? Would also love to tour some hop farms, I'm just unsure of how to go about doing so (if this is at all possible). Any input would be greatly appreciated! Also if anyone is local and would like to chat to a fellow brewer over a pint or two, let me know!
                -Cheers
                Hi there,

There are a number of breweries and craft centric bars in Wellington, all within easy walking distance. The http://craftbeercapital.com/ website highlights some spots worth checking out. If you're in town still, there is a nice festival over in Martinborough this weekend. http://www.brewday.co.nz/

Feel free to drop by our brewery and say hi. Our cellar door is open seven days and you can taste a range of beers on tap right next to the brewhouse. Across the street we have a new(ish) taproom with an additional 20 taps, 18 pouring through a 'flux capacitor' at various temps and gas mixes, and two casks kept at cellar temp.

The hop harvest is underway, and from I saw down there two weeks ago, it's shaping up to be a great year. I would suggest heading out to Riwaka and there are a number of farms that are close to the town. Ask around and you might find someone willing to give you a tour, though it is a hectic time of the year for them.

Hope you have a good time down here, and sing out with any questions.

Jos

Jos Ruffell
                Garage Project

Comment

If your still in the Wellington area give me a shout. I will be here for a couple of days before heading to the South Island and would happily show you a couple of my favorite craft beer watering holes. You don't want to miss those Garage Project beers!! I know I won't!

Comment

Working...
                  X