50L vs. 1/2BBL Kegs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50L vs. 1/2BBL Kegs

I was wondering what the pros and cons of using 50L kegs for my brewery vs. the standard 1/2BBL kegs. I have a few pros and cons myself but was wondering what other brewers/owners thought. Also, what is the going rate for used 50L vs. 1/2BBL kegs? Thanks for your help in advance.

Beaux Bowman

I think that the only major drawback would be the type of valve - some bars hate having to deal with having a different coupler for each type of keg. But usually the distributor takes care of that, so it's not such a big issue. And at least in our market, bar managers can't seem to get their head around the idea that 50L is less than a 1/2 bbl keg.
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

The 50L keg gives you what every brewer needs. Flexibility in pricing. If every body except very expensive Euro's are in 1/2 BBL, what does a 1/2 HL keg cost? It allows you to build in a little more margin and still be cheaper than the local competitor in the 1/2 BBL. In Canada where we work in HL, it also makes my world easier instead of screwing around with 58.6L

Comment

We switched to 50L from 1/2 bbl last spring without any complications. I agree with Linus that many bar folks don't really distinquish between the keg sizes, a keg is keg. We did maintain the same volume pricing of beer in the 50L keg, so now our kegs do appear to be less expensive.

advantages: keg price is lower, easier on people - 50L weights @ 20 lbs less, also the beer turns over faster, and is therefore fresher.

disadvantages: there are some costs that are fixed, cleaning/filling, and often shipping (both ways)

As far as keg acquisition costs go, I think there is very little price difference between 50L and 1/2 bbl. Hope that helps!

Comment

We have dealt with both in Sacramento. Both are Sankey, so there is no change in bar equipment needed. Sometimes, in house, it was easier to use a 50L because it was lighter to lug around to the bar, and it was shorter so it would fit into a cramped cooler.

If you're interested in buying some 50L Sankey kegs, you should contact Capm Petersen from Sacramento Brewing Co. I think he's still got a surplus of them that he'd rather not store, and would probably let them go for a good price. Give him a call at 916.802.6129 if you're interested.

Comment

Thanks for the timely feedback. All of the points make sense. Having worked with 50L kegs before, I liked the fact that they were easier to handle. It is amazing what difference 20 lbs makes sometimes. Thanks for the tip on finding some, I do have a local source that I am looking at picking up.
            -Beaux

Comment

Working...
            X