Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any alternative hop variety's out there ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any alternative hop variety's out there ?

Having only used English, U.S., and German hop varieties in my career, just wondering if there is anything out there that's available currently (NZ, Polish, etc...)

It just seems to me there has to be an alternative to the feeding frenzy over Cascades etc.............maybe some new and interesting beers will develop ?

Maybe it's just me but I'm getting burnt out over the aggressively hopped IPa's that everyone has got on their roster...I need a break from Cascades, Chinnooks, Mt Hood etc.......maybe maltier brews will be in vogue in 2008 ?
    ( I know the Camra guys won't like it)

Brewers have adapted over history to different conditions.......

think I'll try to grow my own hops in the back yard !

T
    Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Canada

Welcome to the West Coast...

Comment

thanks man!..................

Vancouver, B.C.
      Canada

Comment

I would argue that if you make good beers like you are used to, that you will have plenty of consumers. Some of them are tired of hop bombs, too, even if they don't know it yet. There will always be the drinkers that will only drink C-hopped beers, but there is a huge market of drinkers that don't like micros because that's all that they think we can make.
        If you make one C-bomb, and the rest the way you like, people will again say, "I didn't know beer could taste like this!"
        Consider yourself lucky compared to the brewers who have no idea how to survive without Cascades.

Comment

Very enlightening !

I guess I'm trying to find something positive out of this crisis, I met a guy
          a while back who was brewing for a succesfull brewpub, when all of a sudden the owner decided to go 100% organic...talk about having less options ! (2 hop varieties, no roasted barley,etc)...anyways the brewpub is still very succesfull.........so hopefully they'll be some kind of light at the end of the tunnel....

T

Vancouver, B.C.
          Canada

Comment

I do not know the exact phrase, but the individuals that can adapt will overcome this current hop shortage. The larger brewers that had made contracts years in advance will not be affected, it the the smaller brewers that buy hops four times a year or when supplies are getting low are the only ones effected. I love the beauty of the situation! This will create some sort of re-formulating for brewers. We just might get some beers that do go beyond the boundaries of the rut created by the popularization of the California IPA. More alcohol and more hops to disguise the less talented brewers in this field. We made a rye beer and created a very nice spiciness, and balanced this with an increase in German Hallertau. I see no one jumping up and down as there are plenty of noble hops to still be had! Good luck.

Comment

NOBLE HOPS?!?!? WHERE!!!!?????
              Seriously Lance, if you know where there are noble hops, please tell me. You can call me at 406-883-2595 or email to info@glacierbrewing.com

Prost!
              Dave
              Glacier Brewing Company
              406-883-2595
              info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Dave:
                Nobel Hop supplier:
                Germany
                FMB (Fromm, Mayer-Bass GmbH)
                Munich, 0049-89-83994-72.

Comment

Thanks Lance!
                  Glacier Brewing Company
                  406-883-2595
                  info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, sounds silly but maybe that might apply to the situation we are all in.
                    -Beaux

Comment

Working...
                    X