Are we crazy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are we crazy?

We are getting very close to start movin forward on a brewpub, and I'm having second thoughts (or a slight panic attack) while I read industry articles and threads on this site concerning the hop shortages.

Are we crazy for trying to open (within the next 4-6 months) during a period when so many established operations are stuggling with inventory? My gut says 'no' and we should forge on, but I'd rather be patient and make the right decision. Otherwise, I've got start thinking if I'll be able to convert that 7bbl system I've been eyeing into a hot tub for my back yard if I've nothing to brew.

Any thoughts, comments and feedback are appreciated.

Prost!
    Dawn

Keep in mind almost everyone who didn't already get their supply is in the same boat, , so prices will increase across the board as will beer prices as these higher costs are factored in

Trudge on

Comment

I wish I were in your position to be perfectly honest ! Might need some patience with the hop situation........

T
      Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
      Vancouver, B.C.
      Canada

Comment

You're right to be concerned about the hop situation. I suggest getting in touch with hop suppliers and getting their opinion on the matter. We're days away from our first batch and it was a struggle to find enough hops for the first few batches. However, we have worked out a positive arrangement with North Country Malts for our hops for next year. Contact them and see what they can do for you.

So dig a little deeper. Talk to hop suppliers and ask them about the possibility of a new brewery being able to get hops in the middle of next year.

Best wishes to you and keep fighting for your brewery.
        Mike Hiller, Head Brewer
        Strangeways Brewing
        2277-A Dabney Road
        Richmond, VA 23230
        804-303-4336
        www.strangewaysbrewing.com

Comment

Of course you are cazy

There is no question that you are crazy for getting into this busness. However, they likely said that to Henry Ford, Bill Gates or Orville Wright. So press on. There is no doubt that it will be tough with the supply situation in doubt. However, this a chance for the true brewer to be innovative and develop a following for your beer.

I think that this a correction in the market for hops. From what I understand, the hop growers have faced some pretty tough times over the past few years with prices being lower than hop growers could support. Most of this was likely caused by multinationals driving the price down. Now the price is gettng to a point where the hop growers may be able to make some money. If they don't, then the hop market wll continue to be problematic. As I understand, total world beer sales is not increasing at such a rate to outstrip the ability for hop growers to respond in a relatively profitable business.

You do have a luxury of opening in six months. The New Zealand hops will in harvest at that time and they do have a good selection. Look at large homebrew suppliers and purchase the hops in stages over the next six months to build your inventory. We are considering planting some of our own hop vines to give it a try. I look at it as exciting times.

Finally, if it was easy to run a brewery only sane people would be doing it. What fun would that be? It is the time for brewers to realise that they are artisans and artisans help each other whenever possible. Red Green used to say" I'll be pullin for you because we are in it together"

Comment

Do not give up on your dream of opening the Brew-Pub. If you are only 6 month out, do not give up!. My only concern about your post is your weight-to-decision factor about hops. As posted above the market will equalize, but you need to think about the alternative. Yeast for example, so many strains that impart there own unique flavor, you could implement this into your brewery portfolio. Also try using some hops that are still in supply and formulate these into your brews. Please correct me if I am wrong; but the majority of the hops that are running low or are completely out of stock for 07 are the High AA hops, plus the cascade and Willamette, Amarillo, Simcoe..etc. Are these the varieties you are wanting to use? If you have gotten this far do not give up. Hope all goes well. Keep us posted on your opening.

Comment

Thanks!

One of the things I love most about craft beer, craft brewers, craft drinkers and the collective bunch of blokes in this industry is the notion 'we're in this together'. I appreciate the feedback. Certainly our thoughts are very much in line with your responses. But, I've learned that it never hurts to ask, especially when your asking those that have been on the battle lines and are wise with experience.

Again, thank you.

Cheers,
              Dawn

Comment

2nd thoughts

If hops are your biggest concern and making you second guess your opening of your brewpub then go with making gruit ales, problem solved

Comment

Hops

We have access to Czech hops. If interested please contact:

Ian Day
                  N.A.B.S.
                  nabs@direct.ca
                  866-917-2337

Comment

Brewpubs have the advantage of selling their product by the glass. Instead of selling a half barrel for $125, they can sell pints for $4. The cost and lack of availability is a bummer right now but at a retail level, hop prices aren't that big of a deal. You can still brew beer at low cost when selling by the glass. Add in a light food menu and good atmosphere with experienced owner/operators and you have a recipe for success in any market.
                    Last edited by Brew Chef; 03-16-2008, 01:09 PM.

Comment

I ask myself that every day

and I am sure some would agree I am. Just count your blessings that you are going into it knowing there is a hop problem. I had the misfortune of finding out the hard way (calling a hop supplier to be told "there are no more hops" ) a month or two after our first brews. I think I spent a month literally loosing sleep over this. Then I woke up one morning and just decided Hops or not I am still going to make beer! Hence our ginger pale ale and lychee /mango weizen (no hops) ...it actually fit into our business plan in the first place so we lucked out there. So I would second the the gruit ale idea!

Comment

Dawn?? Is that you??? Dawn????
                        Tim Butler

Empire Brewing Co.
                        Syracuse, NY

Comment

What does it say about this board or industry, that this thread entitled, "Are we crazy" gets over 3000 hits?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeV
                            and I am sure some would agree I am. Just count your blessings that you are going into it knowing there is a hop problem. I had the misfortune of finding out the hard way (calling a hop supplier to be told "there are no more hops" ) a month or two after our first brews. I think I spent a month literally loosing sleep over this. Then I woke up one morning and just decided Hops or not I am still going to make beer! Hence our ginger pale ale and lychee /mango weizen (no hops) ...it actually fit into our business plan in the first place so we lucked out there. So I would second the the gruit ale idea!
                            I admire your perserverance....those beers sound delicious...make lemonade from lemons.

What are some alternative bittering agents that we can use?

Comment

Working...
                            X