Allergies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allergies

I just started working at a local brewery and I've been having an allergic reaction to grain dust. I've started working with my doctor to find a solution, but I'm sure I'm not the first person to face this problem. Does anyone have any insight? I wear a dust mask when working with grain, but I'm still exposed to ambient dusk quite a bit during the day.

I've had the same problem. I bought air filters to filter out any of the dust in my grain room and the brewery, this helped tremendously. Other than that I've done nothing, things tend to get better as the years go on.
    Last edited by scott isham; 12-03-2007, 11:56 AM.
    Scott Isham
    Harper's Brewpub

Comment

I had to go to an ENT and get a prescription nasal spray for allergies. It worked pretty well. Over the counter you might try Claritin (don't use the D because extended use causes B.P. issues, I found out the hard way!) and a saline mist. You can use Afrin too when you need it, BUT not too much because it can cause problems too.

Comment

allergies

I tend to get a bacterial infection in my nose time to time. I've always used those cheap 3m masks when mashing in but think I'll go for one of those gas mask jobs...looks ridiculous but it might work. My doctor was telling me to make sure nothing gets up there during the brew day especially....

T
        Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
        Vancouver, B.C.
        Canada

Comment

Originally posted by tariq khan
          I tend to get a bacterial infection in my nose time to time. I've always used those cheap 3m masks when mashing in but think I'll go for one of those gas mask jobs...looks ridiculous but it might work. My doctor was telling me to make sure nothing gets up there during the brew day especially....

T
          Spend the money and purchase a fume rated respirator. I bought one at the local home center for around $40.00. They actually "breathe" easier than a paper dust mask and have the same air in/out valves that mil. spec gas masks have. I bought mine for heat stripping lead paint from 100+ year old millwork in my house. When in-use you can't even get a whiff of anything except clean air. It has a nice three point harness system and in fairly comfortable to wear.
          Cheers & I'm out!
          David R. Pierce
          NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
          POB 343
          New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

I have to say ditto on several suggestions, Claritin, dust mask, and just holding your breath if your just stepping into the mill room for a sec. Oh yea, if you get dust on your hands, DON'T touch your eyes!! They will itch like nobody's business, and look like burring glass.
            Jeff Byrne

Comment

My best routine was take 1-2 Benadryl liquid-caps right before I mashed in a Hefeweizen (I'm more allergic to wheat & wheat dust). Usually, though, I was also slamming coffee all morning, so the antihistamines didn't really slow me down too much.

Comment

Had similar issues in the past. The allergy meds threw my palate for a loop, everything started tasting chalky. Stopped taking them and it (chalky) went away. Found the respirator style mask to be the best. I think there are some OSHA and state requirements with these regarding getting a physical before using, talk to your HR person or research this first.
                -Beaux

Comment

Originally posted by gabewilson50
                  My best routine was take 1-2 Benadryl liquid-caps right before I mashed in a Hefeweizen (I'm more allergic to wheat & wheat dust). Usually, though, I was also slamming coffee all morning, so the antihistamines didn't really slow me down too much.
                  Coffee and Benadryl liquid-caps. Is that the brewers new Speed-ball? Sounds like a Hunter S. Thompson cocktail.
                  Cheers & I'm out!
                  David R. Pierce
                  NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
                  POB 343
                  New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Everyone seems to be giving good ideas to deal with the symptoms the problem is causing, but what about working on nipping the cause in the bud? What kind of setup are you dealing with there that's causing so much grain dust?

Sure, some dust is unavoidable, but prevention is your best defense.
                    www.devilcraft.jp
                    www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

Originally posted by beertje46
                      Spend the money and purchase a fume rated respirator. I bought one at the local home center for around $40.00. They actually "breathe" easier than a paper dust mask and have the same air in/out valves that mil. spec gas masks have. I bought mine for heat stripping lead paint from 100+ year old millwork in my house. When in-use you can't even get a whiff of anything except clean air. It has a nice three point harness system and in fairly comfortable to wear.

Thanks for the tip think I'll get my hands on one...let's face it we can't do much about malt dust it goes with the job expecially if your milling.....

T
                      Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
                      Vancouver, B.C.
                      Canada

Comment

Originally posted by jason.koehler
                        Everyone seems to be giving good ideas to deal with the symptoms the problem is causing, but what about working on nipping the cause in the bud? What kind of setup are you dealing with there that's causing so much grain dust?
                        I'm new so I'm not sure I can describe it too accurately. We have base malt pushed in from the silo, and a hopper and auger in front of the mill to load specialty grains. This is right next to the mash tun and in the same room as the mill, and there is a office we work in connected. There are fans above the mill but I think a lot of dust gets in from the specialty grains. I don't know if it's a bad setup or I'm just sensitive, but I've been getting asthma like symptoms (I don't have asthma otherwise). I had some itchy eyes and some very slight congestion, but nothing to complain about on its own. The doctor gave me some Allegra and an albuterol (sp?) inhaler, so we'll see how that works.

Comment

Check out Northern Tool's p-100 resiprator
                          I co-own a spray foam insulation business.
                          I have an allergic reaction to isocyanate vapor and aerosol present during spray operations and warm weather maintainence. Kinda ruined my good deal with my spray foam insulation business!! This is mostly why I am attempting a new start in the commercial brewing industry. What JOY (but not much surprise) when in my burgeoning brewery immersion research I discovered that individuals can experience hyper sensitivity pnuemotis symptoms from grain dust (and all its little passengers!) inhalation. Difficulty breathing, cold sweats, fever, gnarly headache. Lame experience trust me! Chronic conditions can form (Kerri Ebert, extension assistant, Agricultural Safety & Health Program, KSU - kebert@oznet.ksu.edu) Similar to individuals who experience OVER EXPOSURE to isocyante. Unfortunately I overexposed myself to a chemical I use in my foam business and I became sensitized. No going back. Sensitization BLOWS!! Avoid it at all costs.

I think jason.koehler has brought up a good point. Prevent OVER exposure. And if state of the art ventilation equipment is not available for whatever reasons wear a long sleeve shirt and more importantly a high micron rated respirator. I have milled one 7bbl batch so far. I wore my p-100 respirator and no long sleeve and no problems. (I know, I already broke a rule....on my FIRST commercial batch!!) I have five 1/2bbl home brew sessions under my belt. (green as a douglas fir baby!) And no problems.

Ericj, maybe try to upgrade your mask similar to above for when you actually handle grain. (company supplied? I hope so.) Can you wear coveralls while you handle the grain, or change cloths when you are done? Possibly this may help.

Here's to your health!

matt g.

Comment

More than an allergy?

Originally posted by SRB
                            I discovered that individuals can experience hyper sensitivity pnuemotis symptoms from grain dust (and all its little passengers!) inhalation. Difficulty breathing, cold sweats, fever, gnarly headache.

matt g.
                            Hey Guys,

If grain dust causes too much trouble for you, perhaps you should look into the autoimmune condition associated with grain allergies, Celiac Disease.
                            www.celiac.com has a wealth of information on the subject!

Cheers,
                            Connie
                            ~intolerant of grain/gluten

Dark Hills Brewery
                            Gluten free beers!

Comment

Working...
                            X