Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Popular are Porters and Stouts on the West Coast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Popular are Porters and Stouts on the West Coast?

Specifically in CA. It seems to me that porters and stouts are more popular in the North East than on the west coast. Is there enough demand in your opinion for these kinds of beers on the west coast or is it better to gear your product line more toward lighter colored ales/IPA/barley wine etc...

Just wondering what others think.

Thanks
    RNJ

Who cares...make what you really like so much that it is amazingly tasty. The style is less important than the quality. There is always room for another of any style that is delicious.

Comment

AGREED!!

A yummy stout, pale, IPA, Hop Monster,,,,,,What ever!! Good Beer equals success!!

Comment

I am a brewer in San Diego, CA and I grew up in Albany, NY. I really enjoy Porters and Stouts. It was what i grew up drinking. I have noticed that the beer drinkers in SD prefer there stouts and porters to be high alcohol. The bigger the better. There is not a whole lot of appreciation for %5-%6 porters and stouts. They do exist here and people do drink them, but you do not sell as much as an IPA. I say produce dank beer and let it speak for itself. Good Luck

James Murray
        Lead Brewer
        Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits
        San Diego, CA

Comment

Originally posted by James Murray
          I have noticed that the beer drinkers in SD prefer there stouts and porters to be high alcohol. The bigger the better.
          That can pretty much be said for EVERYTHING in CA!
          -Lyle C. Brown
          Brewer
          Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

washington (seattle area specifically) has a pretty good market for porters/stouts & other darker beers...just make it hoppy to pull the IPA crowd too

Comment

Nor Cal loves their Porters and Stouts, but its a seasonal thing. We mostly make ours as a fall/winter ale kinda thing. I'm not sure if its the fact that its not always available but this past spring it was our most requested brew for a while. And - as a general proposition - there's always room for a well made beer. Brew it well and they will come.

Kevin

Healdsburg Beer Company
              Sonoma County, California
              Kevin McGee

Healdsburg Beer Company
              Sonoma County, California

"Because this town sure didn't need another winery."

Comment

Working...
              X