Best State for New Microbrewery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Coast?

So far, not a peep from anyone on the east coast. However, I just spoke to someone who works in the New Hampshire liquor control, they seem to have very few regulations---other than brewery owners have no felony convictions, and one pays them $1200 a year plus $.30 a gallon in tax, for over the counter sales. Anyone want to comment? I'm curious; if it's so easy to do there, why aren't there more microbreweries?

K
    Last edited by mongo; 10-11-2007, 05:05 PM. Reason: exception

Comment

Utah?

What about Utah with all the ridiculous 3.2% laws. Anybody have any experience with the great state of non-drinkers?

Thanks
      Last edited by Carpeiem; 02-08-2008, 01:48 PM. Reason: spelling
      Chase DeHan
      Renegade Chief
      Renegade Ales

Live well, laugh often... drink great beer.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor Morris
        What's the word on Rhode Island?
        I'm not exactly in the industry yet, but I do live in RI. There are 3 brewpubs in the state, two in the capital of Providence, one in Middletown/Newport. There is also one on Block Island I think?? Which may operate seasonally. As far as laws go, I know RI breweries/brewpubs can sell Growlers of beer the same hours that liquor stores can sell beer. Keep in mind, if you want to distribute here, we don't do Supermarket/non-liquor store beer sales.

I will say that its been a while since the Warwick/West-Warwick area has had a brewpub/brewery...maybe that should change...

Comment

Utah?

Originally posted by Carpeiem
          What about Utah with all the ridiculous 3.2% laws. Anybody have any experience with the great state of non-drinkers?

I am a homebrewer debating the possibilities of opening up a micro in Utah, so any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
          At least you would save money on grain! But what would be the point? 3.2 Belgians? Ick.

K

Comment

PA law is very attractive to a new brewery, but state requirements are such that you may not have any ownership in a brewery until you have been a resident of the state for two years.

Comment

Brewbong is not entirely correct. This was an issue with us because I grew up in Pennsylvania, but lived in Boston for 5 years prior to moving back to PA and starting Bavarian Barbarian Brewing Company. The paragraph in the liquor code pertaining to residency requirements clearly states an exception for brewers/manufacturers of malt brewed beverages. I believe this exception exists to allow large brewing companies to build or buy breweries in Pennsylvania. For instance, Boston Beer Company has (correct me if I'm wrong) two brewing facilities in Pennsylvania now.
              Mike Hiller, Head Brewer
              Strangeways Brewing
              2277-A Dabney Road
              Richmond, VA 23230
              804-303-4336
              www.strangewaysbrewing.com

Comment

Pa Title 40

Originally posted by Michael Murphy
                PA has some good perks to owning a brewery. for instance if you want to open a production brewery your allowed a bar with food served, no liquor license needed, Of course you could only sell your beer and perhaps some wine. great for cash flow!
                Much better than NJ laws
                I have spent some time looking at the Pa regs and have not come across anything that would indicate that you do not need a liquor license to opperate a brew pub. I may sound a little demanding but do you know the specific section of Title 40 that states what you have above?
                Cheers!
                -Alan

Comment

Originally posted by millerag
                  I have spent some time looking at the Pa regs and have not come across anything that would indicate that you do not need a liquor license to opperate a brew pub. I may sound a little demanding but do you know the specific section of Title 40 that states what you have above?
                  You don't need a liquor license. You need a "brewery pub" license, it allows a licensed brewery to operate a tap room. With the brewery pub license you can sell your own-brewed beer and PA made wines. 30 seats minimum, and food service is required. I have an electric chafing dish I bought at a restaurant auction for $60 in which I heat hot dogs.

Pennsylvania is truly friendly for breweries. I can (if I choose), bottle and keg for distribution; self-distribute; operate a tap room; sell bottles (by the case out of the brewery or by the six-pack out of the pub), growlers or kegs to-go; purchase a liquor license to operate a full bar; operate a full restaurant. All options are open.

Comment

Originally posted by pennbrew2
                    You don't need a liquor license. You need a "brewery pub" license, it allows a licensed brewery to operate a tap room. With the brewery pub license you can sell your own-brewed beer and PA made wines. 30 seats minimum, and food service is required. I have an electric chafing dish I bought at a restaurant auction for $60 in which I heat hot dogs.

Pennsylvania is truly friendly for breweries. I can (if I choose), bottle and keg for distribution; self-distribute; operate a tap room; sell bottles (by the case out of the brewery or by the six-pack out of the pub), growlers or kegs to-go; purchase a liquor license to operate a full bar; operate a full restaurant. All options are open.
                    I take it you have a Pub/opperate a pub? If so where is it i would love to visit as i live in Pa.
                    Cheers!
                    -Alan

Comment

Yup, in Berwick. Grand opening was January 26th, I'm currently open Saturdays 1 to 9pm and Sundays 1 to 6pm.

---Guy

Comment

I've been hearing great things about your place there, Guy. People who come from out your way to our tasting room have said good things, and I've been sending people out to see you from here. Hopefully, you'll start getting some Williamsport folks at One Guy.

I agree with Guy that "Pennsylvania is truly friendly for breweries," and "all options are open." But no one should take that to mean that the PLCB is any easier to deal with than any other state's alcohol control bureau-crazy. The PLCB is such a mass of confusion and miscommunication. I actually had to read a section of the code to the person reviewing our application after the initial investigator passed us and I had to fax her a copy of that section of the code in order for her to accept our assertion on the issue - which had already been resolved by the investigator and his supervisor. You can do a lot of things with a brewery here in Pennsylvania, but be very prepared and well-informed before you begin your ordeal with the PLCB.
                        Mike Hiller, Head Brewer
                        Strangeways Brewing
                        2277-A Dabney Road
                        Richmond, VA 23230
                        804-303-4336
                        www.strangewaysbrewing.com

Comment

I don't know about the best state, but one of the "not best" states ( i can't bring myself to say worst) is South Carolina. Things are slightly better since we raised the alcohol limit. With the 3-tier system, no onsite growlers, retail or tours/tastings- they really make ti difficult.
                          COAST Brewing Company

Comment

I'll throw a vote in for Montana. Now even though we are limited to serving 48 ounces per person per day and only between 10:00am and 8:00pm, we can self-distribute, keg, bottle, can, growler sales, open seven days a week, serve food, host live music, have strippers on the bar! Okay, maybe not strippers, NOT YET!! Getting started is no easy task but as has already been stated, no state is a breeze, it seems. We have approximately 20+ breweries statewide so our populace is educated (mostly) about craft beers.
                            Glacier Brewing Company
                            406-883-2595
                            info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Mongo, if your still looking for the best state to open a brewery. Pennslyvaina is a good state to open but they have restrictions, like blue laws and you can't sell 6 packs only cases. I was talking with John who works at flying fish brewery. He said the two best states would be Califorina or New York. They have the fewest restriction and allow you to do mostly what you want. good luck with your search.

Comment

Originally posted by JayG.
                                Pennslyvaina is a good state to open but they have restrictions, like blue laws and you can't sell 6 packs only cases.
                                Not true. A Sunday license is an additional $300, I have one and can operate the pub 7 days a week if I choose. And (if I bottled) I could sell singles and six-packs out of the pub.

Another nice thing in PA is that, by law, all beer sales must be paid for at the time of the sale. So if you're distributing you don't have to extend credit terms to your wholesalers and/or retail customers. No accounts receivable on your books, no waiting 30 or 60 or 90 days to get paid, no chasing after payments. If you're an ale brewer and have credit terms with your suppliers, you can brew and sell your beer and deposit the money in your bank before you've paid for the ingredients or supplies.

I don't know how PA compares to NY or CA, but there's virtually no restrictions on how a brewery can operate in PA.
                                Last edited by pennbrew2; 04-08-2008, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X