Michigan considers 16-ounce ‘pint-size’ law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan considers 16-ounce ‘pint-size’ law

A bill introduced last week would amend the Michigan Liquor Control Act to require each pint of beer have at least 16 ounces. It would make it an offense to “advertise or sell any glass of beer as a pint in this state unless that glass contains at least 16 ounces of beer.”

Rep. Brandon Dillon, R-Grand Rapids and a co-sponsor of the bill, said short pints aren’t the most pressing issue facing the state, but “a lot of people, I think, would appreciate knowing what they get when they order a pint.”

Some pint-style beer glasses with thicker bottoms hold as little as 12 to 14 ounces.

"14 oz pint" - is that like a 10 inch foot?

Comment

New Taproom Glasses?

We are opening a new brewery in Michigan and I am trying to figure out what glasses to buy. I am wondering if it will be OK to sell in a 16 ounce glass with the typical "finger width" of head or if even that would be an offense. Filling a pint glass to the top without head wastes beer from the tap because of the foam and is difficult for servers to carry because it spills a lot easier. There is a limited selection of glasses over 16 ounces...

As a customer I hate getting a low fill or noticing that the bottom of the glass seems rather thick. But as a business owner, this could get interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by EternityBrewing View Post
        We are opening a new brewery in Michigan and I am trying to figure out what glasses to buy. There is a limited selection of glasses over 16 ounces...
        Imperial pint glass or any German 0.5 liter glasses come to mind.

Comment

The easiest thing to do is just don't call it a pint...
          Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
          tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
          "Your results may vary"

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Briggs View Post
            The easiest thing to do is just don't call it a pint...
            I was thinking the same thing but thought...."Naw, it can't be that simple...can it?"
            Scott LaFollette
            Fifty West Brewing Company
            Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

Without seeing the text of the law I imagine you will be expected to sell, in liquid beer, the number of ounces you advertise to sell. A sixteen ounce pint in a pint glass is never 16oz. of beer so if you sell a "pint" it will have to come in a larger glass than the typical shaker glass.

I expect bars will keep their glasswhere and advertise 12oz pours.
              DFW Employment Lawyer
              http://kielichlawfirm.com

Comment

Originally posted by einhorn View Post
                "14 oz pint" - is that like a 10 inch foot?
                A metric foot?

Comment

Pint of What?

They went through this in the UK - I was telling a friend here in the US about how much more particular Brits were about their "pints" And how weights and measure enforcement was much more seriously enforced there. Some time after that conversation he went to the UK and ordered a pint. As the publican was handing it over, he pulled it back and said, "oh that's a bit short, let me top you up a bit". My friend said, "is that because you're worried about a weights and measures inspector catching you". "No", replied the publican, "I'm worried about a riot".

We pulled our beer from a restaurant that sold our beer in "cheater pints" - if we catch staff pulling a short pint or too much head - we tell them - that's a riot pint. Customers catch on - we create an expectations. 20oz UK pints - 1 finger head for co2 Ber and 2 finger heads for the real ale off the beer engines.

Comment

This was a real problem for me when I had my craft beer bar--got my glassware from egrandstand and what they had then was a 20 oz pub glass I liked (Libbey 4803), and similar shaped 16oz glass (Libbey 4808). The 16 oz glass held about 14.5 oz plus a proper head, and I didn't feel good about selling that as a pint, so that was out. So I went with the 20 oz. I had 'em put a line at the 16 oz mark on the 20 oz glass but if the bartender hit that line the head didn't reach the top of the glass (or didn't stay there until a waitress could pick it up and get it to the table) so it LOOKED like a short pour. And when busy, the bartenders usually just poured so that a standard head hit the top, probably 18 oz of beer every time. This will definitely fuck up your pints-per-keg yield, LOL.

Other styles, all I could find were 14 oz, 16 oz, and 20 oz, with the occasional 15.5 oz Willi Becher or whatever. Nothing in the range that would have really worked, an 18 oz beer glass.

A google search a minute ago reveals that Libbey makes an 18 oz shaker glass, Libbey HT1632. This is what I would get if I were doing it again. If I could get a mark or line at the 16 oz mark that would rock; I just checked and don't find the 1632 on the egrandstand website but maybe they'd be willing to pick it up if the demand was great enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X