Canning line CIP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canning line CIP?

We are running a high sugar content beverage through our canning line and our normal CIP procedure isn't getting things clean enough. The manufacturer didn't seem to have any real suggestions and our chemical supplier was surprisingly less helpful. Currently we run a metabisulfite cleaner. Can anyone share their chemical and/or method for CIPing your line?

Assuming the components contacted by the chemical solution are all made of stainless steel, you want to use either a chlorinated alkaline cleaner or a caustic with an oxidative additive that is peroxide based. The concentrations vary depending on the chemical and the temperature as well. If chlorinated, run around 120 -130 F and with the caustic/peroxide solution shoot for around 140 - 160 F. Sugars form deposits that generally require oxidation for removal. If the can line is exposed to heat, caramelization may occur as well.

Sodium Metabisulfate is not really a great cleaner in general. You may want to switch to something different for better cleaning results and lower cost.

You can contact me directly if you have questions or need products.

Cheers,

Dirk Loeffler
    Technical Director
    Loeffler Chemical Corporation
    loeffler.dirk@loefflerchemical.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    (404) 629-0999
    800-769-5020 (US & Canada only)
    www.loefflerchemical.com

Comment

Thanks Dirk, I'll reach out next week. One problem is that the line is a combination of stainless and aluminum, so caustic is a problem.

Comment

We have a product that will work with Aluminum. Looking forward to your call or e-mail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        (404) 629-0999
        800-769-5020 (US & Canada only)
        www.loefflerchemical.com

Comment

Working...
        X