Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Amylo 300 to drop final gravity on a brut pale ale questions and concerns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Amylo 300 to drop final gravity on a brut pale ale questions and concerns.

Good afternoon;

We have a stalled ferment on our brut ale.

Giving you some details to help get a better idea of what we planned to do.
    OG: 11ºP
    Current Gravity: 1.2ºP

Beer colour is deep amber / red; we used about 50% Best Malz Red X / 35º Pale Malt / 15% Rice Flakes
    Used Amylo in the mash. Went on the high side of recommended addition of 1200mL per tonne, which worked out to about 400mL
    Mash Profile is the following:
    1) 58º-60ºC for 60 min
    2) Heated to 63º-64ºC for 30 min
    3) We did not mash off. We had hoped we would still get some enzymatic activity during the runoff and sparge.
    Sparge Temp was 77º-78ºC...so we recognize that we may have denatured the amylo 300 in the mash, during the runoff.

We used hornindal kevin from Omega to ferment.
    Batch size is about 20 HL

Pretty aware that a red / amber colour provided more unfermentables in the beer than a typical pale Brut beer.
    We are also thinking that using a high floc characteristic such as Hornindal Kveik yeast probably did not help much either.

We are definitely considering adding more Amylo 300 into the beer. From what I read, we would be adding it into the beer after we harvested the yeast, and let whatever yeast is remaining in the beer to ferment the remaining sugars created.

Questions:
    1) How much additional Amylo 300 should I add? The range is from 1-4g / HL in conditioning. We would like to get the gravity down to about 0.5-1.0ºP.

2) Our conditioning temp is about 20ºC...we plan to let it free rise to 30ºC. We also plan to add some orange fruit puree during this time and hope the yeast will ferment a good part of the fermentables from the orange puree.
    a) Should we add Amylo 300 first; let the beer ferment out, and then add the fruit puree
    b) Should we add Amyloi 300 and fruit puree together with the hope that any remaining yeast will be able to ferment both.

3) How does one ensure the Amylo 300 won't continue to break down any more fermentables in packaged form?
    We do not plan to filter this beer; we do not have access to a centrifuge, nor do we plan to pasteurize the beer.
    We planned to cool the beer to 0ºC / rack / carbonate / can and keg the beer.
    My concern is that this beer may be sitting in a warm shelf in a liquor store, so I do not want it to continue fermenting and possibly cause the can to swell / expand / break the seal. We are also concerned if we may possibly damage our sankey kegs.

Any experience with making these beers; adding Amylo 300 to fermentation and conditioning; and an idea of how long it would take to ferment out...something to expand our knowledge on techniques with this style of beer would be greatly appreciated.
    Please let me know if our concerns with the integrity of the can and or keg is warranted.
    I recognize it is a popular style, and if we make something good, we would want to do it again.

Thanks for your time; your comments are appreciated

David
    33 Brewing Experiment

Quite simply, if you add the Amylo now you will not have much of an option for final gravity. It will likely ferment out completely. We only use the Amlyo toward the end of fermentation to reach a gravity < 0P. It will breakdown everything. This style should be super dry, so I would just let it go. You will have nothing to worry about in package at that point.

Comment

Working...
    X