Best Filler/Capper for start-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Filler/Capper for start-up

We’re working on a craft beer start up, and have come to something of a “decision” about bottling equipment and wanted to see what others think of our logic and decision. I think our key parameters for bottling are, in order, (1) low O2 uptake, (2) reliability (I have nightmares about waiting for a part in the overnight mail while I have a bunch of beer ready for bottling), and (3) speed. We’d love to buy a new, super-fast Meheen, but of course cost looms over all of this. Listening to others, it seems that Meheen service is so good; we can pick up a used 4- head Meheen filler/capper and be fairly sure we’ll be able to get very low O2 uptake. I don’t think we’ll get 24-36bpm every minute, but I would hope we could get 50 cases an hour. We dream about someday finding this too slow, but for a while we’re pretty sure that won’t hold down our annual production. So we can spend some long days bottling and save some capital without risking the stability of our beer. At some point we have to run out of sweat to put into equity, no?

The Crown Cork and Seal Cemco machines are so fast and available so cheap it’s really tempting. But without any experience with them, I expect we’ll have high oxygen and we’ll end up dumping some beer because we need a part that has to be cast. How has A-B made such stable beer for so long with those things?

So, are we on the right track? Anybody have a better suggestion? Anybody have a reason not to go with a used Meheen or a reason to go CC&S? New vs. used?

Anything you can offer would be great.

Closing time,
    John

My vote is for a Maheen.
    We purchased a vintage 1994 unit and with a little "Love" it performed flawlessly a few days after it arrived at it's new home. Some after market Co2 purge equipment and a few runs to work out the particulars, the packaging rate for 12oz. Heritage was @ 20 to 30 cases and hour with one person/ pre labeled bottles. 35-40 cases an hour with someone feeding the labeler and the bottle in feed ramp. Just need a 22oz filler now.

Good luck

Comment

Hey Nohandslance what aftermarket Co2 purge did you add? any pictures?

I have a 95 machine that Dave has been good at helping me keep running! after a few upgrades we get 43 or so cases/hour with nice level fills and pretty good shelf stability and low airs , My next machine will be a Meheen when its time, as it is the best most reliable bottler for the price point I have seen

LDB

Comment

LaughingDog
        When I get home next week I will send you a few pictures of of the purge Bar.
        It came with the used Maheen filler but no directions, so we fitted it to a Co2 supply line and positioned it over the row of bottles that were second in line before the slide plate advanced the empties to the fill head.

Comment

Working...
        X