Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Utility Costs: Are my projections off the mark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utility Costs: Are my projections off the mark?

I am attempting to project utility costs as part of a business plan for a production brewery. The numbers I have calculated seem very expensive. I am hoping you could let me know if my projections seem off the mark. My projections are based off of the information found at Sound Brewing Systems, Inc.'s website:

Electrical: 10-15 KWH/BBL
    Natural gas: 1.3 therms/BBL
    Water usage: 3.0-7.0 BBL per BBL of beer sold

First full year of production with 30-barrel system producing 800 barrels:

Electricity
    15 kwh per barrel X 800 barrels X local rate of $1.80 per kwh = $21,600

Natural Gas
    1.3 therms X 800 barrels X local rate of appox. $14.00 per 1000 cubic feet of natural gas = $1,456

Water
    7 barrels H20 per barrel of beer sold X 800 barrels X local rate of $4.55 per 1000 gallons H20 = $790

GRAND TOTAL = $23,846

Tacking on the various delivery fees, it would seem I'm looking at approximately $25k in utility costs in order to produce 800 barrels of beer. That breaks down to about $2,000 in utility costs per month. I'd really appreciate it if you could confirm or pick apart my reasoning.

What worries me is that $2,000 per month in utility costs at 800 barrels per year extrapolates up to $6,250 per month in utility costs at 2,500 barrels per year. Over $6k a month in utility costs really cuts into my projections on our ability to turn a profit.

I really appreciate any information you could offer on what to expect in terms of utility costs. Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

Jeff
    Jester King Craft Brewery
    Austin, Texas

My usage calculations are pretty similar to yours, but I have my local rates at $0.08 per kwh for electricity $0.14 per Therm of natural gas. For what it's worth, my utility rates are pretty similar to a sample calculation that used to be on the JV Northwest website.

Comment

US$1.80/kWhr? That's unreal! I thought I was paying some of the highest prices for electricity anywhere at US$0.46/kWhr. You sure you have the right numbers?
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Online find

Just found this online

"as of 3/15/2007, nationally the residential average is currently $0.10220 per KWH, while commercial costs average $0.09350 and industrial costs average $0.06160 in the US; across the board, that averages $0.08770 for all services nationally."

Or check out here according to state.

Comment

You're right. I am an idiot. I had the price per kwh way too high. Thanks for the feedback.
          Jester King Craft Brewery
          Austin, Texas

Comment

The electric may be much higher if you have peak demand rates in the summer.

Tom
            ECBC

Comment

Production brewery

Jesterking; unless I am reading wrong, those projections are for a brew pub, not a production brewery. Your energy consumption will be significantly lower.

Comment

I have a brewery in Montana and we do about 6000 BBL per year. Our gas and electric are about 2500 per month and water/sewage is 200-500 per month.

Comment

Hey everyone. I'm not sure if I'm missing it but do the kWh/bbl figures (from JVNW & sound brewing) take into account service & demand charges? I am also in the process of starting up a craft brewery in New York and my numbers look something like this for my first year of operation (600bbl):

Service Charges: $0.72/day*365 = $263
                  Demand Charges: $9.99/kW/month*144kW boiler*12months= $17,263
                  Energy Charge:$144kW*5hrs/day*5days/month*12months*$0.0536=$2,316

=$1,654/month for electricity
                  =~72kwh/bbl

Am I doing something wrong?....I hope so.
                  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Evan
                  Last edited by BarrierBrewer; 01-07-2009, 11:06 AM.
                  Evan Klein
                  Barrier Brewing Co.
                  Founder/Brewmaster
                  3001 New St.
                  Oceanside, NY 11572
                  www.barrierbrewing.com

Comment

I'm not familiar with boiler calculations, but I'll take a stab at it since this thread seems to be dead. Your service and energy charges seem valid, but your demand charge doesn't. I can't imagine demand fees being more expensive than the energy itself. $/kW/month is a strange unit and I'd call your future electrical provider to find out what it really means. Maybe you'll be given a certain usage allowance per month and you'll have to pay $9.99/kWh for any electricity you use in excess of that amount.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                    X