Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to Nitrogenate beer

Looking for the best way to nitrogenate a beer

I have a high pressure tank rated to 45psi and I’m wondering what the best way is to nitrogenating a beer. My understanding is that the beer should be carbonated to a volume of aprox 1.8 (vol) and then introduce a mixed gas (25% co2 and 75% N2) at aprox 35-40 psi. and then let it sit for 2-3 days. My question is; Would it not be better to use a “Stout gas” (20% Co2 – 80% N2). I will also be using a 4inch carbstone during the process. I was going to filter the beer first and nitrogenate immediately afterwards. My reasoning for this is that I believe the carbonation level will be lower after filtration.

I’m thinking of using a 20% Co2-80% N2 gas mix and adding it to the beer slowly, right after filtration through a 4” carb stone until a pressure of 40psi is reached..

What I don’t understand is if I want the beer to have a 1.8 Vol of C02 why carbonate in the first place if I'm adding C02 later as part of a mixed gas ?

I will edit this post later as I don't think I have made my self clear.

Nitrogenating

At my brewery, I Nitro using a 25/75 CO2/Nitrogen mix. Take the pressure up through a carb stone to 26 psi then bleed pressure slowly for 30-40 min. Bring pressure back to 26 psi slowly (30 min) and repeat. I Usuall have a well nitroed stout in 2.5 hours with this process. If your stone is actually in the tank ( mine is a grundy with no carb stone port so I go from the bottom valve) you should have great results.

Good luck.

Slainte

Jeff
    Slainte,
    Jeff Lockhart
    Brew Master
    Red Leg Brewing Co.

Comment

Nitro beer

Thanks for the reply Jeff but I would prefer to use the 20% C02-80% N2 because I can get it a much lesser price. Do you see any problem with this?

Comment

80/20

I don't see a problem with that. I don't have the option of that mix maybe someone else out there in forum land?

I say just give it a try. You won't ruin it and you can always adjust.

Jeff
        Slainte,
        Jeff Lockhart
        Brew Master
        Red Leg Brewing Co.

Comment

little more info on nitrogenating...in kegs

Comment

Nitro beer

Thanks for the tip Imakewort but I'm trying to get away from doing it in kegs, my back is sore!

Comment

Nitro

I like to put 8psi head pressure than run 12 psi through stone until pressure stabilizes. Once stabilized turn pressure up in 4 lbs increments until you reach your max pressure of you tank. I leave pressure on stone for 24 hours and tank is usually ready. One of the biggest aspects for me seems to get the beer as cold as possible. Nitro dissolves into liquid at a lower temp than Co2. I also found that bleeding off pressure at such high levels scrubs the beer of flavor and aroma. I do 100% nitro, but used to use beer gas and the process is the same. 100% nitro leaves a creamier texture.

Comment

Nitro..

Whitemarsh, Thanks for the input, sounds like a good aproach...sgh

Comment

Do not exceed your tank's pressure rating under any circumstances. In the event of a catastrophic failure, your business, as well as yourself/employees, are/could be doomed. No one will insure you.

Try this: http://www.liqui-cel.com/

It's called a membrane contactor. It's economical above the 1000 bbl/year mark.

Pax.

Liam
                  Liam McKenna
                  www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Pressure

Thanks Liam but my tank is rated to 45psi. sgh.

Originally posted by liammckenna
                    Do not exceed your tank's pressure rating under any circumstances. In the event of a catastrophic failure, your business, as well as yourself/employees, are/could be doomed. No one will insure you.

Try this: http://www.liqui-cel.com/

It's called a membrane contactor. It's economical above the 1000 bbl/year mark.

Pax.

Liam

Comment

Working...
                    X