Reassembling a Heat Exchanger...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reassembling a Heat Exchanger...

Long time listener, first time caller...

I'm about to receive either a new plate pack or fresh gaskets for the first time. I'm a little apprehensive about trusting myself with the "instructions" that the company dishes out...

For those who know the tricks about heat exchangers...I'd love to learn them...

I've taken apart the heat exchanger many times and I'm well aware of proper cleaning regimines. I'm just wondering if there are any tricks to receiving new gaskets and/or plate packs...

thanks people...
    k. m. kerner

You should get detailed build instructions. The plate pack should be sent to you in the correct order - but it is worth carefully double checking

Thus there shouldn't be a problem. Run clean cold water through each side before you fully tighten up just to ensure there are no leaks or blockages
    dick

Comment

Assuming your plates are in the right order to start with, you can try this tip to keep you organized. During (re)assembly draw a straight diagonal line (with a permanent marker) on one edge of the plates from corner to corner. That way if you accidentally misplace one (or get interrupted) you can always determine plate order. From experience, this does not work so well if you plan on soaking loose plates in PBW, caustic, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Beersmith
        Assuming your plates are in the right order to start with, you can try this tip to keep you organized. During (re)assembly draw a straight diagonal line (with a permanent marker) on one edge of the plates from corner to corner. That way if you accidentally misplace one (or get interrupted) you can always determine plate order. From experience, this does not work so well if you plan on soaking loose plates in PBW, caustic, etc.
        You can make the diagonal line with a hacksaw. More permanent than with a marker...just be careful not to cut too far!
        Troy Robinson
        Quirk Brewing
        Walla Walla

Comment

thanks....

...thanks for the replies...

it turns out it a situation we've all had at one time or another - I was given (inherited) a machine that is MacGyvered and Jerryrigged so much that it doesn't actually look like the machine it should be in the first place....

but it works....

don't you hate it.....
          k. m. kerner

Comment

Working...
          X