ingredient cost per batch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Robb,

I grew up in Michigan (Farmington Hills), and I probably skate with some of the guys you played hockey with in Sun Prairie. Small world!

I never got the brewpub going, and it was a simple matter of not being able to raise enough money. With two small kids, a Monday-Friday daytime job, and being able to check "work as a head brewer" off my list a few years ago, I'm at peace with it not working out.

I think there's still a market for new brewpubs in under-served areas, so you're already following what would be my biggest piece of advice: don't open a distributing brewery! After almost 13 years in the industry, the craft beer hype machine makes less sense to me than it ever has - and I wouldn't roll the dice on a new brewery catching fire in a crowded market unless my concept was both approachable and unquestionably unique.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by jwalts View Post
      Hey Robb,

I grew up in Michigan (Farmington Hills), and I probably skate with some of the guys you played hockey with in Sun Prairie. Small world!

I never got the brewpub going, and it was a simple matter of not being able to raise enough money. With two small kids, a Monday-Friday daytime job, and being able to check "work as a head brewer" off my list a few years ago, I'm at peace with it not working out.

I think there's still a market for new brewpubs in under-served areas, so you're already following what would be my biggest piece of advice: don't open a distributing brewery! After almost 13 years in the industry, the craft beer hype machine makes less sense to me than it ever has - and I wouldn't roll the dice on a new brewery catching fire in a crowded market unless my concept was both approachable and unquestionably unique.

Joe
      Joe,

I agree 100% with the distribution thing. As I walk into most beer stores, I am immediately overwhelmed by the number of craft brews on the shelves. That and the fact that they usually seem to taste better when you are right at the brewery drinking them.
      Last edited by BLBC; 02-12-2018, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jwalts View Post
        Hey Robb,

Joe
        Joe -

Just stumbled on this thread and your website... top notch stuff and as someone in the planning stages I want to say "thank you" for making these awesome resources available.

I grew up in West Bloomfield and live in Royal Oak now, small world. Sorry things didn't work out for your plan, but it looks like you were as prepared as anyone could be.

Brian

Comment

Working...
        X