funny outlet for sampling valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• funny outlet for sampling valve

OK, I've been battling trying to find a sutible zwickle/sampling valve for my fermenter's. I do not have the luxury of a 1 1/2" try clamp fitting to attach my sampling valve to. What I have is a 7/16" male fitting on my tank. Very strange. The threading is not tight like water threading, and it is most likely treading meant for gas fittings. I have been able to piece together a "sort" of sampling valve, but I can not find a piece that will attach to the 7/16" male treading that is stainless steel. Besides that if pieced together brass attachments

Anyone out there have this on any of there tanks? I have no clue where these tanks were made but they are 14 bbl and NOT double jacketed. Poor stainless steel quality and I do have a proper spot for a butterfly valve on the bottom of the fermenter and on the side of the cone. Any suggestions up to having the tanks rewelded with a 1 1/2" fitting for try-clamps. The stainless steel is very thin and welding leads to burn through on the inside of the tank.
    Thanks to any/all the respond!!!
    Cheers,
    Jon Christiansen
    Joseph James Brewing Company
    Henderson, NV

First question, if you look into your fitting, is it straight pipe thread all the way into the tank, or do the threads end at a narrowing lip? If the latter, it is a sanitary style that uses a gasket/O-ring and is not pipe thread. This would be my guess.
    Second, is the fitting thick enough to drill out and tap to 1/2" NPT?

Comment

Jon,

Could you take a picture of the fitting on your tank and post it?

We might have a better understanding of what your dealing with.

JackK

Comment

Our 30bbl tanks have the threaded o-ring style sample port. They came with sample valves that screw right in. The tanks are JV Northwest. The ports are located on the manway doors, and the doors are not of the insolated double wall variety. You may try JV.
        Joel Halbleib
        Partner / Zymurgist
        Hive and Barrel Meadery
        6302 Old La Grange Rd
        Crestwood, KY
        www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

my DME tanks have the same sort of setup. There is an o-ring that seals it up.

Mike
          Mike Pensinger
          General Manager/Brewmaster
          Parkway Brewing Company
          Salem, VA

Comment

Perlick sanitary fitting?

I don't have one in front of me to measure, but that sounds like the standard Perlick "bacteria proof" fitting connection. Where the threads end to the inside of the tank, is there a flat surface to seat a sealing washer against? If so, Perlick can probably supply the necessary valve and the sealing gaskets as well.

Steve Bradt
            Regional Sales Manager
            Micro-Matic Packaging Division
            Eastern United States and Canada
            sbradt@micro-matic.com
            785-766-1921

Comment

Second on the Perlick, the new tanks were getting have these valves.

Comment

Thanks guys for the responses. The treading is on the OUTside of the piece sticking out of my tank. It sticks out less than 3/4 inch total and its welded onto the tank. I will take a picture soon and post it on this thread asap. I have my camera here at work.

Jon

Comment

heres a picture of the sampling valve port i have to work with...
                  thanks guys and gals.
                  jon

Comment

oops, didnt work. ill get the pictures on here soon .....
                    jon

Comment

here ya go folks. thanks again! anyone recognize this valve/fitting?
                      jon
                      Attached Files

Comment

almost looks like a soda keg fitting...

Comment

looks like a 1/4 inch gas/beer line fitting.

Comment

I will go with standard flare fitting....

Mike
                            Mike Pensinger
                            General Manager/Brewmaster
                            Parkway Brewing Company
                            Salem, VA

Comment

It appears there is a hex head against the tank...is this hex welded to the tank or is it threaded on to some other thing which is welded to the tank?
                              I agree with beermkr, try to match it with a flare fitting at your local hardware store. If it does match, there are flare fittings in stainless that will adapt this to NPT, and you can thread your sample cock to that. It would be safest to disassemble this for each tank cleaning.

Comment

Working...
                              X