Chestnut mild ale ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chestnut mild ale ?

Has anybody used chestnuts in recipes, I am looking at brewing a English Mild ale with a chestnut addition.
    Any ideas out there ?

Chestnuts

Interesting question
    I had a Chestnut farmer come to me with some beers made solely from chestnuts, one of which was quite good.
    he was looking at the gluten free side of it I will try to find his contact info if you want

Laughing Dog

Comment

First of all, I have not brewed with nuts. The reason why is that it's common perception that most nuts have too much oil in them. Excessive lipids in beer are not good. That being said, there may be a way to eliminate them via some kind of nut "tea" or perhaps with extracts--either commercial or made yourself with an alcohol base. Good luck! I'd like to know how yours turns out.
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I am only looking at a small percentage in the grist, say under 10 %. I have heard about using roasted chestnuts/flour in some porter styles but no actual grists recipes. I will do some more research and get back on how it turns out.

Comment

I haven't done it personally, but some of the artisan folks in Italy are currently making some high end brews with chestnuts, particularly in the Piedmonte region. Googling Italian craft brewing might give you some good leads and ideas.
          Kevin McGee

Healdsburg Beer Company
          Sonoma County, California

"Because this town sure didn't need another winery."

Comment

Working...
          X