Using a Diverter Panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a Diverter Panel

I'm on my third week brewing on a Specific Mechanical system complete with diverter panel. The diverter panel is great - no more dragging hoses around and setting up pumps.

When it's time to clean the brewhouse I've tried a couple of different set ups, but seems like I'm moving things around more than I have to. Backflushing the heat exchanger is a real pain.

Other than trial and error, does anyone have any ideas?

Do you have the one or two pump diverter? I have the two and can send pix of the "brewer's aptitude test" method of HE cleaning.
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Backflush

Because you have a hose connected into your fermentation tank from your diverter panel (HEAT X OUTLET) you should be able to hook this discharge hose end into the outlet of your CIP pump. This can only happen if your fittings are the same. Once you have connected to the outlet of your CIP pump the flow will be reversed into your heat exchanger. Now you need to place an extended "swing link" or a hose with the correct fittings from your heat exchanger inlet over to your kettle inlet/CIP inlet.

The flow rate can be diminished by the heat exchanger during your ordinary kettle CIP, making the impingement on your kettle insufficient. I would recommend running a heat exchanger backwash during your whirlpool inlet cleaning and then go to a forward flush during your kettle CIP.

I hope this all makes sense.

Cheers,
      Todd Malloy
      Director of Brewing
      Glenwood Canyon Brewing Co.
      Glenwood Springs, Colorado

Comment

It does make sense. I CIP my HE and Kettle independently and concurrently using the kettle pump for the kettle and a portable CIP tank and pump for the HE. Hence the name "brewers aptitude test". Pix to follow...
        Cheers & I'm out!
        David R. Pierce
        POB 343
        New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

I do have a 2-pump diverter panel and a portable CIP pump.

I hadn't thought of using the portable pump. I've been sanitizing the heat exchanger and fermenter using the kettle pump and was trying to make that do all the work.

The panel and its pipes are BSM, but I have 4 BSM to TC fittings, so I can easily attach brewers hose to the panel.

Comment

We have the same set-up. I forgot my camera this morning so no pix today.

Basically works like this:
            Portable pump outflow to HE outflow, remember it's cleaned in reverse, HE inflow via T/C adapter on diverter (mine is upper right fitting) hose out to CIP reservoir, CIP reservoir drain to portable pump inlet. Additionally, I install a outflow hose on the aeration stone so it can be CIP'ed in reverse.

I'll remember my camera and post pix on Monday.
            Cheers & I'm out!
            David R. Pierce
            POB 343
            New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Pix would be great. I'm not brewing till Wednesday, so plenty of time to practice for my BAT (brewers aptitude test).

Thanks,

Barbara Gerovac
              Brewer
              Union Cattle Co
              Hermosa Beach, CA

Comment

Working...
              X