Zahm-Nagel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zahm-Nagel

My Zahm seems to be reading innaccurately these days, I've just changed the gauge on it and it still appears to read lower than it used to do. I'm suspecting it might be gummy on the inside, (it's about 8 years old, I've been using it for 1 year)......Is there a way to safely give it a clean or am I looking at getting a new one..(I usually give it a quick water rince everytime i use it)....

thanks..

Tariq (Big Ridge Brewery)
    Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Canada

It can be totally torn down. Leave the thermometer installed as the "thermowell" is full of loose mercury. Buy a rebuild kit and replace the few o-rings. Lube the bottom plunger. Reassemble and go.

Series 1000 parts list here

Zahm-Nagel is still a family owned operation and the people are super nice.
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Zahm

I was kind of hoping for a solution like this.....Cheers David !

Tariq

Vancouver, B.C.
      Canada

Comment

Zahm

On a side note, we just put a new gauge on ours. The gauge is adjustable, there is a small brass screw on the face (you have to remove the clear plastic cover) that is VERY sensitive. When I installed the new one it was not calibrated. I suggest buying the rebuild kit orings for the green valves, I tried using some small ones I had around and they were not the exact same size and shredded out after a few uses. Good luck.
        Joel Halbleib
        Partner / Zymurgist
        Hive and Barrel Meadery
        6302 Old La Grange Rd
        Crestwood, KY
        www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Anytime I've ever had issues it's because the "piston" (or whatever the thing is called that pops out as you shake the bottle) is being held up and just needs to be properly lubricated- though I think that might give you a high reading- maybe a valve is not closing fully? These things seem to be nearly bulletproof, I've given them my fair share of abuse.

Cheers,
          Geoff
          Geoff DeBisschop
          Evolution Craft Brewing Company
          Delmar, DE

Comment

Zahm

Guys thanks a lot for your suggestions......turns out I have a leak on the top toggle piece....ordering a new one today.....didn't realize it....also gave the piston a lube and had a co-worker show me how to clean up the inside...once I get that piece it should be good to go......

Cheers!

Tariq (Big Ridge Brewing)

Vancouver, B.C.
            Canada

Comment

calibration gauge

One thing that we have found useful is a calibration gauge. We purchased a fairly high quality/accuracy gauge a few years ago, which also has the benefit of being adjustable (or calibrateable). We have it set up to use for checking the set pressure on our pressure relief valves and it is also useful for periodic confirmation of the accuracy of other gauges, such as the one on our Zahm. If you can come up with some mercury, you can fairly easily make a u-tube type of gauge (manometer) which will allow you to test your test gauge too, based on the inches of mercury that are moved. Put pressure "snubbers" on the test gauge to slow the pressure input, insuring that you don't accidentally blow out the gauge by putting too much pressure to it.
              Steve Bradt
              Regional Sales Manager
              Micro-Matic Packaging Division
              Eastern United States and Canada
              sbradt@micro-matic.com
              785-766-1921

Comment

Working...
              X