• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Germany there's a quote

"Wer schreibt, der bleibt"

i.e. He who writes - stays

Comment

I have worked at three different breweries and only one "allowed" a few to "drink" on the clock. This was done three times a week with the brewer, and the owner during tasting evaluations. These evaluations were done at the end of the day and generally took the last half hour of our shift. During this time myself, cellar manager, head brewer and owner would sample all brew in various stages of production as well as those ready for packaging and those packaged during the time since the last tasting. We were also given a case of beer each week to take home and allowed Five pints a week at the tasting room. Most of the employees that drank their five pints a week handled themselves well and had zero problems, a few drank the five free ones and would buy more and get out of hand on occasion....

From my experience in the F&B industry most employees respect boundries whether spoken or not and some screw it up for everyone else...

My suggestion is to do what your heart feels best and CYA for any mishaps that may occur....Good Luck
      John C. Bolling
      QA/QC/Bottling Operations
      Ironstone Vineyards

Comment

Very recently, I over-imbibed at a beer fest, and felt like merde about it the next day.

I feel it is my duty to lead by example. And that day, I didn't. Never again.

Comment

Originally posted by hophead82
          as a new assistant brewer i find it is necessary to taste beer along all stages from fermentation to bright tank albeit in small quantities. I find this helps refine the palate to identify tastes and proper carbonation levels.
          I am in complete agreement with this thought!

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight
            I am in complete agreement with this thought!
            You must be the gentleman that came all the way to Wisconsin for a wastewater seminar?

Comment

Originally posted by wiredgourmet
              Bingo. I'm a brewer, not a social worker. That said, I would sack anyone who can't handle their drink in a heartbeat. There are, obviously, people who are unsuited for work in an alcohol-related business. Blow 'em out and don't give it a second thought.

There is real value in keeping the "liquor cabinet" open. The ability to enjoy a product that you helped to make is an opportunity to take pride in your work, and to evaluate & critique, and so contribute toward improving the overall process.

If you've got drunks lazing about, you need a better staff, not more regulations.
              Well stated!

Comment

drinking on staff

I used to have a beer at lunch. Did not take long to realize that was a bad idea. Not immediately after, but once I got to brewhouse CIP, man was I ready to go home.

So, I instated a policy for myself and everyone that works for me that once the beer is in the fermenter, the glycol temps are set, the CIPs are over...Your putting away clamps, gaskets and hoses and a squeegy is in your hands, then you can have a beer.

Brewers are allowed 2x 5 gallon kegs/month to take home with them. They, along with ALL of my staff, are allowed no more than 2 beers/day at our bar or at ANY other local brewery or affiliated establishment. We are professionals and I expect my staff to behave as such.

The brewers respect this policy, abide by and agree with it. The beer at the end of the day is one we almost always have together. Sometimes one of our own sometimes not. We enjoy our jobs and part of that enjoyment is the end of the day beer and enjoying the fruits of our labor. Let's not forget that we're still brewers.

Comment

Originally posted by barleywhiner
                  I used to have a beer at lunch. Did not take long to realize that was a bad idea. Not immediately after, but once I got to brewhouse CIP, man was I ready to go home.

So, I instated a policy for myself and everyone that works for me that once the beer is in the fermenter, the glycol temps are set, the CIPs are over...Your putting away clamps, gaskets and hoses and a squeegy is in your hands, then you can have a beer.

Brewers are allowed 2x 5 gallon kegs/month to take home with them. They, along with ALL of my staff, are allowed no more than 2 beers/day at our bar or at ANY other local brewery or affiliated establishment. We are professionals and I expect my staff to behave as such.

The brewers respect this policy, abide by and agree with it. The beer at the end of the day is one we almost always have together. Sometimes one of our own sometimes not. We enjoy our jobs and part of that enjoyment is the end of the day beer and enjoying the fruits of our labor. Let's not forget that we're still brewers.
                  Imposing regulations on drinking outside of your own establishment seems a bit draconian don't you think....

Comment

Draconian?

Originally posted by chaser
                    Imposing regulations on drinking outside of your own establishment seems a bit draconian don't you think....

Ours is a very public position and one that garners respect and adoration. I don't want to find out that a brewer or any employee went over to another brewery and poorly represented themselves and my brewery.

This is not the industry for drunks/problem alcoholics. I won't have them working for me and representing my business.

Besides, breweries all across the country have rules around drug use. I'm not saying they can't drink. I'm saying if their doing it at one of our accounts, or another brewery, that they conduct themselves with professionalism. If they want to get drunk, do it at home, and don't show up hungover.

Believe it or not, this has yet to be a problem.

Comment

drinking

As a rule of thumb, our bodies can process roughly a beer an hour...if a brewer is drinking more than a beer an hour he/she will be over the limit for my brewery. I dont discourage drinking, this is what i say, drink as much as you feel but if you get drunk, while working, you are fired....a beer with lunch is fine...if a brewer is drinking before 2 pm then there might be issues...filtering can be an issue with drinking, one must show constraint when filtering...but generally i screen candidates and treat them as adults, if a brewer gets drunk while working then they have to deal with consequences

Comment

BAC Calculator

Hire fat brewers
                        Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working. -Harold Rudolph

Comment

Originally posted by Lex
                          I thought nobody trusted skiny brewers anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Lex
                            http://bloodalcoholcalculator.org/

Hire fat brewers
                            LOL. maybe that's one answer..but whatever the case may be, having drunk brewers on board (even mildly "buzzed") is certainly not a good idea for all the sensible reasons already covered.

Quite frankly, hiring anyone who can't not drink during the course of the day (despite the fact that they are surrounded by beer) would be asking for trouble. I think the limits mentioned by others in the thread regarding on-the-job tippling and end-of-shift limits before leaving the workplace are sound and sensible...especially in the litigious society we live in.

As far as tasting for QC purposes as mentioned further up this thread, yes...that's vital. Save it for the very end of the day. If that's not practical for some reason, QC tasting/evaluation can certainly be done without having to down a whole pint of the stuff. If a brewer can't evaluate a beer based on a couple of ounces, then perhaps they should brush up on on their sensory skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirsty_Monk
                              I thought nobody trusted skiny brewers anyway
                              At least that's what I tell my wife when she goes to the gym and asks me if I want to come...
                              Yes, I should be doing something in the brewhouse right now...

Comment

Originally posted by LuskusDelph
                                As far as tasting for QC purposes as mentioned further up this thread, yes...that's vital. Save it for the very end of the day. If that's not practical for some reason, QC tasting/evaluation can certainly be done without having to down a whole pint of the stuff.
                                Yes, it sure can. But your palate is much sharper at the start of the day, so in my opinion it's much better to do tasting sessions in the morning.

Just save it till the toothpaste taste is out of your mouth.

Comment

Working...
                                X