Best pump for (really small) brewery - 1BBL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3bbl Brewery Pump and Hose Question

For those of you with small breweries, using the 1/8 HP pumps - Like March and LG, with 1" FNPT input and 1/2" MNPT - what size beer hose are you using, and how are you interfacing the hose with the pump?

Ian

Comment

Hi Ian.... We haven't ran it yet, but have a pump like you describe, and plan to screw in 1.5 inch tri-clamp fittings for in and out, and use 1/2 inch ID silicone tubing. If you had bigger tubing at least for the in side, you might be a little better off, but that's what we have at the moment. The fittings, you can probably get alot of places, but we got ours here...

Brewers Hardware offers a variety unique and hard to find items to the home and craft brewing markets. Specializing in Tri Clover compatible sanitary fittings and other stainless steel parts and accessories, our selection is constantly expanding.

Hopefully that works...
      Kyle...

Comment

Originally posted by LeftTurnOnly
        Hi Ian.... We haven't ran it yet, but have a pump like you describe, and plan to screw in 1.5 inch tri-clamp fittings for in and out, and use 1/2 inch ID silicone tubing. If you had bigger tubing at least for the in side, you might be a little better off, but that's what we have at the moment. The fittings, you can probably get alot of places, but we got ours here...

Brewers Hardware offers a variety unique and hard to find items to the home and craft brewing markets. Specializing in Tri Clover compatible sanitary fittings and other stainless steel parts and accessories, our selection is constantly expanding.

Hopefully that works...
        Kyle...
        I am running into a similar issue with this pump. I'll be purchasing it for a 2 bbl nanobrewery and I'll be using it for beer transfer as well as tank cleaning. All of the valves and fittings on our equipment is 1.5" tri-clamp. We were planning on using 1" ID hoses with 1.5" tri-clamp fittings on the ends. I wish the march nanobrewery pump had 1" inlet AND 1" outlet.

How can I make this work? Will we have to use 1/2" ID hoses instead of 1" ID hoses since the pump outlet is 1/2"? If so, all of the tri-clamp fittings will be too big (the tri-clamp fitting for 1/2" ID hose is smaller than the tri-clamp fitting for 1" or 1.5" ID hose).
        Neil Chabut
        Eudora Brewing Co.
        Brewery and BOP
        Kettering, OH

Comment

11/2" TC fittings come in multiple hose barb ID's. Just because the fitting is 1 1/2" doesnt mean the hose has to be 1 1/2". Look at GW Kent for examples. You can have a 11/2" TC to 3/8" barb for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dog
            11/2" TC fittings come in multiple hose barb ID's. Just because the fitting is 1 1/2" doesnt mean the hose has to be 1 1/2". Look at GW Kent for examples. You can have a 11/2" TC to 3/8" barb for example.
            So you're saying I should make my own hoses using 1.5" tri-clamp fittings with 1/2" hose barbs, correct? In that case, what type of tubing would be best as a hose? I was looking at goodyear vintner's hose, but the smallest I could find was 1" ID.

Sorry for hijacking this thread. I may just PM Matt Dog with some questions if he doesn't mind.
            Neil Chabut
            Eudora Brewing Co.
            Brewery and BOP
            Kettering, OH

Comment

I found some sanitary pumps on McMaster-Carr's website. They can be found here. Would one of these be good for a small brewery? They aren't self-priming, but they are sanitary and have pretty high flow rates. Also, how can I tell if these are variable speed pumps? If they aren't, is there any way to turn them into variable speed pumps?
              Neil Chabut
              Eudora Brewing Co.
              Brewery and BOP
              Kettering, OH

Comment

I have one of them.
                They are Thomson pumps and work quite well.
                They are NON variable speed pumps and I use it as is.
                When you wire it make sure you have correct pump rotation.

Comment

Working...
                X