Insurance for brewery volunteers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance for brewery volunteers?

Do brewery insurance policies typically contain coverage for brewery volunteers? I've called Whalen and Haylor with this question and they said they'd get back to me. I have a potential investor asking me this question. Could anyone let me know? Thanks!
    Jester King Craft Brewery
    Austin, Texas

Don't know if you recieved an answer to your question, but here is some basic industry insight.

Volunteers are considered as an "insured" under most typical liability contracts as regards how their actions may afect YOU, the policy holder. By example if a Volunteer insults a contrcator, or tries to evict drunk patron that results in injury to that patron; your insurance policy should cover you (the company/policy holder). Under this same type of Liability policy the Volunteer would not be covered for injury they are responsible for to employees or managers of the company.

If the volunteered is injured, ala a workers compensation type of injury, they would not be covered under most workers compensation programs unless you request an endorsement to your policy for Volunteer Workers. These typically can be provided for nominal charges (if any) and just a few questions asked (how many volunteers, what will they be doing, etc). While volunteers are not employed, and therefore are ineligble for wage contination under workers comp, they would be covered for medical expenses.

Hope this helps.

-Matt Mueller

Comment

Regardless of insurance, you should have your volunteers sign an indemnification and waiver agreement before you give them access to your premises.
      Kevin McGee

Healdsburg Beer Company
      Sonoma County, California

"Because this town sure didn't need another winery."

Comment

I agree, get them to sign something. PM me if you want a copy of the waiver I use.

Comment

Cya

Remember though that even if they sign a waiver they can still sue your butt if they get hurt....and they'll most likely win, or at least cost you a ton in legal fees. Usually easier to just get 'em covered (cheap compared to the lawyers)
          Larry Horwitz

Comment

Liability

Thanks Alston. Trust you found my reply on Liquour Liability as useful.
            -Matt

Comment

Working...
            X