Removing/Reducing Sulfites in Wine Barrels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing/Reducing Sulfites in Wine Barrels

Anyone have any ideas for removing, or at least reducing sulfites in wine barrels before beer is put in them.

I got a call from a fellow brewer yesterday asking this exact question. All we came up shooting from the hip with was a good hot water rinse, and maybe chilling some water in kegs, carbonating and introducing to the barrel hoping for a scrubbing effect.

Any experience, ideas, or scientific data is welcomed and appreciated.
    Jeff Byrne

Jephro:

No direct experience here, but a Google search seemed to yield a few people saying hydrogen peroxide? I'd be well-informed about products and side-products before charging forward with that, though.

Here's a link to a wine science book Google provided some page captures from ... also seemed to promote the idea that hydrogen peroxide and SO2 produce water (and???) ... (bottom of the left column on the first page).

Wine Science, Third Edition, covers the three pillars of wine science – grape culture, wine production, and sensory evaluation. It takes readers on a scientific tour into the world of wine by detailing the latest discoveries in this exciting industry. From grape anatomy to wine and health, this book includes coverage of material not found in other enology or viticulture texts including details on cork and oak, specialized wine making procedures, and historical origins of procedures. Author Ronald Jackson uniquely breaks down sophisticated techniques, allowing the reader to easily understand wine science processes. This updated edition covers the chemistry of red wine color, origin of grape varietyies, wine language, significance of color and other biasing factors to wine perception, various meanings and significance of wine oxidation. It includes significant additional coverage on brandy and ice wine production as well as new illustrations and color photos. This book is recommended for grape growers, fermentation technologists; students of enology and viticulture, enologists, and viticulturalists.NEW to this edition:* Extensive revision and additions on: chemistry of red wine color, origin of grape varietyies, wine language, significance of color and other biasing factors to wine perception, various meanings and significance of wine oxidation* Significant additional coverage on brandy and ice wine production* New illustrations and color photos

Maybe a good cooperage/wine forum would have a better idea? Tricky, these cross-beverage areas.

Ah. Here's another link ... to a UC Davis site! Maybe there's a good trail of information leading further from the author there ... also mentions hydrogen peroxide. References a study (from 1975 ... good luck with that), but maybe a Food Science outreach program at a local university could help you out, too. Had one of those at nearby NC State when I was back in the States:

Okay, okay ... one more: http://www.brsquared.org/wine/Articles/SO2/SO2.htm -- see section 15.

Good luck! Interested to hear what you turn up.

Full Disclosure: I'm not in any way involved in hydrogen peroxide manufacture or sales, save biological processes ongoing within...

- The Swain.

Comment

...AND...

I'd maybe do a little "aging" of whatever you throw in there. Take it through a couple temperature changes to let it "breathe" through the wood ... much like you'd do with whatever you end up putting in there. Would imagine it's tricky to soak deep enough without forcibly stepping it through some temperature fluctuations.

- NS.

Comment

Reducing removing sulfite

I believe that if there is some evidence of using hydrogen peroxide may work, then using peracetic acid should work. Sulfite works as a reducer and peracetic acid is an oxidizer so they should neutralize each other quite rapidly and you would not have to worry about any contamination. I would mix up a strong solution of peracetic acid then add it to the barrel and let sit for 24 hours.

Jim Lieb
        Brew Rocky River Brewco
        Chemist in a former life

Comment

A thorough 180F hot water rinse is all that is necessary. If you are going to ferment in these barrels then aerate a little more than usual and pitch a little more than usual. If you are maturing in the barrels then just rinse and fill.

I would avoid using any additional chemicals in the barrels as I think you will just be making a bigger mess rather than cleaning one up.

Kevin
          When all else fails, forget the hammer. It's time for explosives!

Comment

Working...
          X