Sewer Composition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewer Composition

I am in the process of opening up a distillery in Lewisburg WV. I'm having a bit of problem (that potentially could be a big problem) right now that I need some assistance with.

My local sewer company has denied me access to the sewer system....actually, it's the WV DEP that's telling them "no". Before I bought this property, I checked with the sewer department and they didn't seem concerned, only that I might need to do some testing on my waste prior to the grinder pump. Now, that I have the property and a bunch of money in excavation, building prep (including plumbing and concrete), I'm finding out there's a problem. The WV DEP has a moratorium on new industrial connections until the local sewage treatment plant complies with some issues.

What's really bothering me is that it's a blanketed statement and I believe my sewage is going to be rather clean. I'm not putting heavy metals down the drain!

I'm going to capture all of my spent grain and give it to a farmer down the road. No yeast down the drain.

My tank cleaning will be caustic, followed by an acid rinse, so I should be close to PH neutral. The majority of my water usage, according to my estimates and my equipment manufacturer, is cooling water for the fermenters and of course, the condenser. I'll have a bit of white stillage and destroyed heads and tails, but that's tiny compared to my overall water usage and nothing that should be hard to treat.

Am I missing something here?

What they have asked me for is other people in the industry that might have had a sewer composition statement.....some sort of testing. I've asked on the ADI forum with no luck. Anybody have an idea here?

BTW, they will let me send my domestic waste to them, just nothing that's part of the process.

I understand most sewage plant concerns with brewing have to do with the "Biochemical oxygen demand (BOD)" of your waste. Standard brewery wastes have a pretty high BOD, and I believe this can upset the balance and the process of treatment in the plant.
    From what you say, it sounds like you are addressing those issues (no yeast down the drain, now grain down the drain...but what about hops/trub?). If you address this issue directly to them (you may want to find someone who understands the issue technically and can speak on your behalf), they may back off, IMHO.
    Hope this helps, good luck!
    -Lyle C. Brown
    Brewer
    Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

bump...anyone have a report or sample test of their sewage?

Comment

Working...
      X