Steam Leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Leaks

Has anyone ever tried to seal a small steam leak with that powder that seals car radiator leaks? Do you think it would work if the cracks are not too large? Any possible down sides? Was thinking about heating water in a 15 gal keg boil pot and pumping/recirculating the water with the powder in it through the affected steam jacket. Comments???

I'd be concerned about doing that - it may work but steam is much more likely to breach the 'repair' with unpleasant consequences

Comment

I can say that is the one thing you should not do. Many don't know that the way those "stop leaks" work is by coating the interior of the radiators with a pasty sludge and also reducing the openings in which it passes. So you entire steam piping system is subject to it including the boiler tubes. They are also corrosive in some applications. I would say the cost to have it fixed correctly along the peace of mind is far more valuable than a "liquid duct tape" solution. Not to mention compromising many other things.

Comment

Also coating the inside of your entire live steam system seems to me it would have a negative effect on your heating efficiency. I am a big fan of shutting the boiler down bleeding the pressure off and getting a welder or plumber to fix the problem.
        Joel Halbleib
        Partner / Zymurgist
        Hive and Barrel Meadery
        6302 Old La Grange Rd
        Crestwood, KY
        www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Fair enough. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Working...
          X