Brewer's Yeast in Bread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mr.jay
    For example, if you want a clean, crisp mildly sweet and nutty bread, try "lagering" it. Use an instant yeast (Heck, try lager yeast and see what happens). Keep the dough cold through the whole process. I add ice to the bowl while I am mixing it. Bag the dough and refrigerate it. Punch it and vent it every day for about three days. After a long, slow, cold fermentation, form the loaves, proof at room temp, and bake as you would any rustic loaf. The resulting product is amazing! What I am playing with now is Brett in bread. I began a barm with Brett. Lambicus six months ago. I have been feeding it ever since. I have yet to bake any bread with it. I still think it needs some time.
    2 very cool ideas, Mr. Jay. I hope you will post the results when the Lambic bread is ready.
    Will you be adding any cherries or raspberries to the bread?
    -Lyle C. Brown
    Brewer
    Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

Reviving ancient thread...

...So all UK brewers in the day sold their yeast to punters and bakeries back in the day. Tough to find in my local shops, but in some places I've travelled to in the EU you can't even find dried yeast for baking and buy little 50 gram bricks of 'fresh yeast' or just blag it from a local bakery...

...so question is, what would be the best way to separate the liquid from a dumped yeast slurry to get it to this sort of brick consistency? I've had play with a cheese strainer and fine cheese cloth, but the yeast comes thru as well...now just going to try letting it settle out and pour off the liquid.

I've got a low IBU wheat beer and lager and the slurry only has a tiny hint of bitterness, so worth a play I think...

Cheers,
      Jeff
      Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
      Chairman of the Beer
      Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
      Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
      W: www.lovibonds.com
      F: LovibondsBrewery
      T: @Lovibonds

Comment

Working...
      X