No announcement yet.

From Grain to bottle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm curious to hear more about this method. How does the yeast react? How does fermenting under pressure at higher than normal temps prevent off flavors? I would expect the opposite--elevated flavors. What about clarity? I'm skeptical...maybe some experimentation is in order.

Comment

Hi,
      I have read the complete thread. Old but really interesting!
      There's a lot of information here!
      I assume that de 10-15 days from grain to glass is for a 5%, 12P alcohol whit an pretty good yeast.
      What would you say about a 17P with a French Saison yeast fermented at 23Celcuis(73F)?
      I'm trying to improve the fermenation cylce...
      With these condition, it's around 28days.
      Any advice?
      Cheers,
      Felix

Comment

17*P would be high enough to be considered "High Gravity". I would suggest a healthy pitch of yeast at lager rates (~1.5 million cells per ml per *P) and a good dose of aeration (maybe 12ppm DO). Start lower than 23*C, maybe at 21*C, and allow it to "free rise" to 23*C

21 days is about my average for dry hopped ales as I like to condition properly and not be in a rush, although there are many beers that can be turned over in 10-15 days without much compromise.

Some Saison strains are notorious for a lagging period between initial fermentation and a final gravity drop. I have read that it is possible these strains may contain S. diastaticus, and that may be what accounts for a stall and then continued drop.

Comment

Working...
        X