Off-taste...sourness...more than one batch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off-taste...sourness...more than one batch

We recently brewed two hefeweizens in our pilot brewing system. Both batches turned out sour....I would describe it as if we dumped lemon juice into the fermenter...also the end result was a bit darker and certainly as cloudy or cloudier then previous succesful batches within the same recipe. I can only think that the yeast had mutated or carried over an infection (from repitching yeast) that formed in the second to last batch....also infecting the latest batch. We used WB-06 dry yeast that we've had for about 9 months, kept in refridgeration in it's original packaging however opened and used a portion thereof previously. I do not think it's an equipment sanitation issue since the off-taste seems to be isolated to these two batches of hefeweizen brewed with our stash of WB-06

Anyone have any thoughts as to what's the most likely cause of this?

Wild yeast con produce a pronounced citrus character, although I generally have found it to be more like grapefruit than lemon.
    -Lyle C. Brown
    Brewer
    Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

Problem solved......we pitched fresh (dry) yeast in the next batch and it yielded the best hefeweizen we've ever tasted. We'll be pitching fresh yeast more often from now on.

Comment

Working...
      X