Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Din "SMS" vs TC

Interesting:

I use SMS in my brewhouse and for cip, but all of my connections for beer are TC (fermentation and beyond). I had to weld up six different connectors, but its great to have a rock sold connection that is easy to make when working with CIP.

Oh most US small breweries have SMS(gasket has square edges), Din has a rounded side.

Graydon

Comment

All I have ever worked with is TC and after a while you get used to the ways you have to hold stuff. as far as two hoses go all I have to say is get phallic with it

Put one hose between you legs and place the gasket on it. Hold the other hose against it and slap that clamp around it.
      Mike Pensinger
      General Manager/Brewmaster
      Parkway Brewing Company
      Salem, VA

Comment

Originally posted by beermkr
        All I have ever worked with is TC and after a while you get used to the ways you have to hold stuff. as far as two hoses go all I have to say is get phallic with it

Put one hose between you legs and place the gasket on it. Hold the other hose against it and slap that clamp around it.
        Standing by for the jokes about not being used to something that small between your legs!
        -Lyle C. Brown
        Brewer
        Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

Originally posted by beermkr

I've already got too much going on down there

I used to kneel down, putting one hose in the crook of my knee (I bought kneepads) seemed to work for me.
          cheers
          MikeMcG

Comment

I understand this is a major bump, but our brewery is trying to slowly transition towards DN fittings. I am responsible for designing a cellar pipe fence and process flow, and I have a few issues I've come across:

1. Sanitation in DN fittings is either superior or inferior to TC, depending on who you talk to. Engineers seem to side with TC and brewmasters (including our brewmaster) side with DN. I've had the opportunity to speak with some prominent members of the industry who I will not immediately name so as not to misconstrue their words. I have not spoken with any European brewers, though.

2. This side of the pond, TC is far more cost effective as proper pipe/tubing, valves, etc are much more readily available with much shorter lead times.

3. DN fittings are much easier to deal with. Easier on the back, hands, etc.

We have decided on a compromise that would make it so that all connections unrelated to the swing links (e.g. butterfly valve connections) or any connections where there won't be repeated disassembly should be TC, while DN would be there on all pipe fence connections with frequent assembly/disassembly.

So, I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone ever used DIN inch fittings such as those offered here: http://www.archonind.com/PDF_Spec/fer_2017.pdf or the OD tubing DIN fittings offered by Gould Stainless? I am considering getting these so that we can use 2" tube and still have clean welds.

2. For pipe panels/fence connections with swing-links, is TC even a viable option when you're trying to maneuver the swing pipes?

Any other pointers you'd give a rookie engineer?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X