COLA Class/Type Designation for hefeweizen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COLA Class/Type Designation for hefeweizen

My COLA submission for a hefeweizen was kicked back because it lacked a class/type designation. Apparently, hefeweizen does not suffice, but it appears to be sufficient on other labels I've seen.

I was wondering how you guys handle this. Do I need to put Wheat Ale instead? That sounds ridiculous.

Try Hefe-Weizen Style Ale.
    Tim Butler

Empire Brewing Co.
    Syracuse, NY

Comment

Doesn't that have to be put on the actual label and not just the application. It seems strange that a beer cannot be "Insert Brand Name" Hefe-Weizen unless Weizen is an appelation.

Comment

Thats what I put on my application and it got approved.
        Tim Butler

Empire Brewing Co.
        Syracuse, NY

Comment

check through others previously approved labels and call whomever kicked it back and ask why if you can show others that were approved. they are usually very helpful.......
          www.beerontheriver.com

Comment

I too would recommend asking the person who rejected it directly if you can. It's nice when you can get specific changes that need to be made right from the horse's mouth.

Comment

Plain "ALE" will work as well.
              Cheers & I'm out!
              David R. Pierce
              NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
              POB 343
              New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

I ran into the same thing this past week. They are looking for a general classification of "ale" or "beer/lager". Once I added the word "ale" to my hefeweizen, they approved the app.

Comment

ditto!!! here too.
                  Mike Pensinger
                  General Manager/Brewmaster
                  Parkway Brewing Company
                  Salem, VA

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I am resubmitting today with ale on the end. Still seems a little unnecessary though. They should add weizen to the list of allowable types.

Comment

This thread looks like it was from 2009, does anyone know if Hefeweizen is still not acceptable as a stand-alone class-type designation for TTB?

Comment

I registered one a month ago and had to use "Beer" in the label. Hefeweizen isn't one of the classes, so you need ale or beer or the like. Search for the Beverage Alcohol Manual (BAM) from the TTB, a little old but seemingly still good. Viel Glück.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=BTBJohnny;219464]I registered one a month ago and had to use "Beer" in the label. Hefeweizen isn't one of the classes, so you need ale or beer or the like. Search for the Beverage Alcohol Manual (BAM) from the TTB, a little old but seemingly still good. Viel Glück.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X