Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any problem with installing a stand pipe in a glycol loop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any problem with installing a stand pipe in a glycol loop?

I am getting some hammering when my tank valves close. Recently caused a break in some old pipe. Anyone know of any problem with installing one.
    Last edited by BrewinLou; 01-05-2010, 01:04 PM.
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Any problem with installing a stand pipe in a glycol loop?

Shock absorbers and water arresters are commonly used in a glycol loop system and usually with no unwanted effects(hammering). Most plumbing wholesalers carry them. I recently found some good stuff at www.jrsmith.com.
    Our chillers are built with an internal bypass valve which allows flow to divert back to the resevoir. That might be a good option for your chiller aswell. The bypass valve also allows you to adjust the pressure in your glycol loop. Good luck!!

Andy Backer
    G&D Chillers, Inc

Comment

Vfd

Another option Joel is adding a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) to the process pump on the chiller system, this will speed up and slow down the pump motor based on your demand- maintaining a a constant supply pressure. In addition to reducing the hammering, it'll reduce your energy consumption. There is also a chance your PUD might be willing to share some of the expense to upgrade to the VFD.

We've provided components and have retrofitted several systems in the field, I'd be happy to work up a bid for your system.

Call or email me for more information. I'm traveling through Tennessee this week, depending on how things go we may find some time to shoot up to see you.

Thanks

Jim
      jimvgjr@prorefrigeration.com
      cell 253-732-9402

Comment

Working...
      X