Kegs per Tap handle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kegs per Tap handle

How many kegs in the system (Brewery, Dist., Retailer) do you think you need to keep a sufficient supply so your retailers don't run dry?
    0.00%
    0.00%
    27.27%
    18.18%
    36.36%
    0.00%
    9.09%
    9.09%
    0.00%
    10 or more (if you choose this could you list in a post how many you think)
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Cheers!

Bill Bensing

I always figure one on tap, one backing up the keg at the account, one empty at the account/in transit to the wholesaler, one back up at the wholesaler's warehouse, one empty at the wholesalers warehouse, one keg at your brewery ready to ship to the wholesaler, and another empty keg ready to fill at the brewery. That is a staggering 7 kegs per retail account working with a wholesaler. At a cost of $85-$150 for a 1/2 bbl sankey keg (depending on new or used), that is an investment of $595 to $1050 in kegs per account.

People new to the industry often underestimate how many kegs they will need. I have been in business 12 years now and about every other year or so, I find myself having to drop another $10-20k on kegs.

Cheers,

Sam

Comment

Agree totally. Our initial distributor told us at minimum 4 per account, but we have found it's closer to 6. Don't forget the farther your distribution area the longer it takes to get empty cooperage back. We distribute everything within 250 miles of our brewery so it's not that bad. And you don't make any money on shipping back empty kegs, so try to get a really good freight rate from a trucking company.

Comment

Thank You for your views!

Cheers,

Bill
        Cheers!

Bill Bensing

Comment

Working...
        X