BioFine Clear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BioFine Clear

Any one got a good source for this in the US?
    any recomended dosing amounts

Fred Colby
    Laughing Dog Brewing

Brewers Supply carries it. I use 30ml/bbl. mix with beer as you xfer to sv or bb, give it a day to clear and serve/package

Slainte,
    Jeff
    Slainte,
    Jeff Lockhart
    Brew Master
    Red Leg Brewing Co.

Comment

Jeff have you ever added it to your fermenter at crash to help prior to filtering?

Fred
      Last edited by Laughing Dog; 02-22-2010, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Biofine

Works better in dosing it inline during transfer to the Brite Tank.The sediment settles out to the bottom very rapidly and you can purge that off the bottom prior to packaging and go from there. We mix it in a corny with beer and dose it inline with a tee in route to the Brite Tank, then when you are carbonating the beer, the solution gets mixed in pretty well and acts quickly. We can turn a hoppy and hazy beer into brilliant bright beer in 24 hours without filtration and have it ready for service.

Great product

Michael Uhrich
        Carter's Brewing

Comment

Any Better Ideas on what I can use that is vegetarian Friendly to help settle the fermenter?
          after fermentation we will crash cool 3-4 days sometimes they wont filter very efficiently, sometimes they do, lately seems to be hit and miss
          with the misses chewing up the filter pads

Fred

Comment

age longer

Hi Fred,

I agree with previous posters. Bio fine is for secondary or brite tank. We let the beer set for 72 hours after dosing the biofine in-line to the secondary tank, but then we have a non-floccing yeast.

3-4 days sounds like a pretty short lagering time. Anything we filter ages for at least 2 weeks. We rack yeast two to three times in that period and then filter out of a racking arm, if we are filtering out of a unitank. When we filter out of a secondary, we have a stand pipe in place.

Again, we have a non-flocccing yeast, but 3-4 days of lagering sounds short for a filter, especially a plate and frame filter.

cheers,

sam

Comment

pretty good luck in the fermenter

Fred,
              We've been using the bioFine Clear for about a year now. We add it (300 ml to 10 bbls) to the fermernter at 24 hrs after the final cold crash to 32 and bubble CO2 through the tank for 15-20 mintues. Of course we've knocked out as much of the yeast/ hop sludge as we can. ususallly i wait 48-72 hrs before filtering and it works pretty well. have had some issue getting my red ale to drop brite, but i think that is another issue all together.
              hope this helps....

nick
              Nicholas Campbell

Comment

We've been using it in the fermenter at a dosing rate of 20-40 mL/BBL. We're still working on getting the dosing rates right for each individual beer. The other piece of advice is to make sure to get it well mixed, we hook up to the bottom and recirculate through the racking arm. If you use too much or don't mix it enough you'll end up with too many ions interacting with each other and not enough with the proteins and polyphenols and you'll end up with a milky slurry at the bottom and significant loss.

-Dave
                Hale's Ales

Comment

Fred, I do not filter or fine in my FV's. Inline is best to the Server.

The only other vegetarian product I know of is Alginex. By it's self it works ok if you give it time. It is intended to be used with Isinglas. Maybe PVPP of some type?

Jeff
                  Slainte,
                  Jeff Lockhart
                  Brew Master
                  Red Leg Brewing Co.

Comment

Biofine Clear is veggie/vegan friendly, purified colloidal solution of silicic acid (SiO2) in water. We use 4L for a 30 BBL batch at the top end of dose rate on one beer and on other beers 2 L for 30 BBL. Depends on how naturally flocculant the yeast strain is. We dose liquid Biofine in during transfer from Fermenter to Brite on beer which has already been crashed to 36F for a few days. It works great in 24-48 Hrs. Our source is Brewers Supply Group.

Comment

I was wondering if the amount of Bio Fine Clear varies with higher gravity beers, and or dry hopped beers?

Comment

As with all finings products, I would expect to have to optimise the dose rate for different beers , and re-optimise with any deterioration in performance due to say new seasons malt, or another cahnge in your process.
                        dick

Comment

We use the Biofine in the same transfer to brite tank manner as described above, however, our beer sits at 34 degrees for 4 days before dosing. Usually crystal clear beer in 24-48hrs.

Also, I built 3" standpipes for the tanks we fine. This keeps the sludge from getting pulled off of the tank and dish sides. We are a brewpub, so the tank is fed directly to the tap!

A great product, but I liked Caskklear better! Bring it back!
                          Cheers,

Brian Ford
                          Auburn Alehouse
                          brewmaster@auburnalehouse.com

Comment

what are people's results with less flocculating yeast strains?
                            we used 500mL for a 12 bbl batch of blonde ale with WL001 and had great results but i'm hesitant to try on our WL800 or Belgian strains.

Input?

Comment

Originally posted by ibrewforyou View Post
                              what are people's results with less flocculating yeast strains?
                              we used 500mL for a 12 bbl batch of blonde ale with WL001 and had great results but i'm hesitant to try on our WL800 or Belgian strains.

Input?
                              We tried it with WYeast 1214 (Belgian Abbey) with no success. It's a low flocculator with tiny cells. Ramped doses up form minimum to maximum with plenty of mixing and time to settle but never got it to clear up. However, the beer drops pretty clear after a week in the bottle. YMMV
                              --Dean Brundage
                              Owner / Unscrambler of Eggs
                              Blake's Steaks Sandwich Shop
                              (650) 823-3389

Comment

Working...
                              X