What's in YOUR firkin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's in YOUR firkin

Our brewpub is planning to throw a stainless firkin up on the bar soon and dispense direct. We have many options for beers to use. I am looking for ideas and suggestions for a what to use in it. I like the idea of oak chips to mimic the old wood cask flavors, with maybe a british bitter recipe or nut brown ale. WHat have you guys done or seen?

whatever I'm brewing when I have an empty cask. Just having a beer on cask is a selling point.

Comment

Old wooden casks were lined with brewer's pitch to prevent the beer picking up wood flavors.

Im just sayin...

Don't let that keep you from oaking some cask ale

Comment

seconded Mr. Hicks.

a nice mild or porter in a whiskey or rum type barrel and then casked would be a taste sensation.

I've seen a few styles (belgians mainly) on cask that i dont recall being served in such a way, so don't be true to style if it limits your selling of good beer.

Comment

I like putting bourbon soaked oak in my porter, various additional dry hoppings for my IPA's, even raspberry in our wheat beer. The firkin is a great excuse to try some fun stuff out.
          __
          Kushal Hall
          Common Space Brewery
          Hawthorne, CA

Comment

Working...
          X