Kettle conversion: gas to electric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kettle conversion: gas to electric?

Wondering if anybody has converted a direct fired kettle to electric elements? I've got a 7 bbl kettle and the question struck me today (it's an especially windy day, so we're making lotsa power today).
    Wondering about feasibility (I know, anything is possible with enough $$), how big the element(s) / power demand would be for my kettle and any other + / - of boiling with electric elements? Any other design issues / placement of the elements for maximizing boil?

Thanks,

Farmer Dave
    Wilson, WI

Hey Dave-

Are you talking about submersible elements? If so,

(-) Cleaning obstacle
    (-) Extreme heat gradient at the element

IIRC, heating elements consume a lot of power (take a look at any electric heater on the market)

Pub used to build a 3.5 Bbl system with heating elements, but I can't remember the configuration. You might want to talk to Bob D at Great Waters. He brewed on one at Hops in EP. I know he had elements burn out from time to time...
    Last edited by dberg; 03-26-2010, 09:14 PM.

Comment

I heard that the Thirsty Pagan in Superior runs off electric. May want to give them a call.

The guy that visited there mentioned that Grainger has a good warranty on elements...

Comment

It is interesting that so many small (3-10 BBL) brewers in the UK use these HUGE electrical elements in their Coppers. They say some of the same things about direct fire kettles as we say about the electric elements - DF tends to over-carmelize the wort, mainly. I think it has to do with the price of LP gas vs. electric for them. I have seen a 10BBL copper with 25KW electric elements run off of a diesel 3-phase generator from a tractor back behind the Brewhouse.

As far as size and placement, several smaller elements placed low in the copper, each switched individually so you can control the boil. All on to get it rolling, then turn off one or more for control. Also helps in case one goes out when you have a copper full of wort. You can limp along on the remaining. 3-phase is better for the larger sizes. Just remember to not turn them on until they are completely covered!
        Cheers!

Jeff
        Carbondale Beer Works

Comment

Working...
        X