X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gov application for keg beer

Hi All:

What application for Keg beer sales and growler sales does
    one has to go through, besides the Brewers bond etc.
    Do I have to apply for a label; supply labels for beer ....talking keg beer???
    I'm located in TN

Cheers and Thanks for your help

Fred

Fred,
    Whether you have to apply for a label (COLA-Certificate of Label Approval) totally depends on your state. In NY state I had to get a COLA and then a State Brand License for every beer I sold off-premise. When it comes to keg only sales, it's actually not that hard to get a COLA. You can apply online and usually get approved within 2 weeks. In NY state, the NYSLA is much much slower. Like at least 6 weeks.

Check with your state liquor authority, but regardless there will most likely be some state requirements.
    Hutch Kugeman
    Head Brewer
    Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
    Hyde Park, NY

Comment

If you are just doing keg, the label app is pretty easy (location, brand name, govt. warning, etc). As far as growlers, keep it simple and use a sticker on the cap for different brands. Just make sure all the font sizes are correct, check the TTB website.

Comment

Fred,

The ABC advised us to go ahead and get TTB label approval for our keg tags and growlers. They both have to have all the required information plus the gov't warning. Our growler supplier sent us a copy of the screen print for the growlers that we submitted for label approval. I thinnk you don't have to get label approval for growlers if they are filled in front of the customer, but you do if you prefill them. But getting label approval is pretty easy now online.
        Linus Hall
        Yazoo Brewing
        Nashville, TN
        www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Get yourself some keg rings. But instead of designing and ordering a different keg ring for each beer, just design one keg ring that has the names of all your beers. You can insert a box or line next to the name of each beer and then just place a check in the box that corresponds to the beer in the keg. Big money saver and the TTB will approve it. We actually have a selection for Seasonal/Special and then a long line after it where we write in the name of the beer. It saves money and time and makes the label approval process a one-shot deal.
          Mike Hiller, Head Brewer
          Strangeways Brewing
          2277-A Dabney Road
          Richmond, VA 23230
          804-303-4336
          www.strangewaysbrewing.com

Comment

keg beer approval

Thanks for your replys

Cheers

Fred

Comment