Whats in your spraybottle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

75% Ethanol

Food grade, relatively safe to handle and works a treat.
    Regards,
    Chris Mills

Kereru Brewing Company
    http://kererubrewing.co.nz

Comment

70% isopropanol in our spray bottles

Fairly fast kill rate and it does not degrade over time like iodine, PAA, or even Star-San.

Comment

Clear Springs 190 proof.
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Terminal Gravity Brewing,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Our brewer uses iodophore, but I swear by isopropyl and if I'm not in a hurry a flame makes me even happier, especially if I'm pulling a sample for my lab.

Comment

70% isopropyl, from costco.
            Jeffrey Oparnica
            Assistant Brewer
            The Burnt Hickory Brewery
            www.burnthickorybrewery.com

Comment

We use PAA, seems to work great. Haven't had any issues. We use a slightly stronger concentration. It lasts about 48hrs in the bottles. Which is fine since we go through them quicker then that.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
              Cheers,

Sean Goddard
              Brewmaster
              Whitewater Brewing Co. LTD

Comment

We keep a standard concentration StarSan solution in our spray bottles. I prefer how it wets & adheres to surfaces over other sprayable sanitizers.

Comment

We recently switched from Iodophor to PAA for our general sanitizer, but our spray bottle is still ETOH (ever try isopropanol in your coffee?). However, after reading this thread and doing a bit of research, we now cut it to 70%. Cutting down on our Clear Springs by 30% saves us money and we don't look like quite as much of a bunch of alkies....
                  Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                  Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Couldn't you get more shelf life out of some of the cleaners using distilled water to cut with? I know star San shelf life increases with distilled water significantly.

Comment

PAA--H2O2 (peroxide) rapidly breaks down to H2O and an oxygen radical, which reacts with danged near anything. The acetic acid volatilizes quickly. Iodaphor loses the iodine ions through reactions with anything organic, and the iodine also volatilizes. I don't see how either of these would benefit from using distilled water.
                      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Not exactly sure why shelf life would even be part of the discussion. You should be using your spray bottles, not watching them get old. I have a spray bottle full of Saniclean for every tank and still have to replenish well before even having to give shelf life any kind of consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by soia1138 View Post
                          Not exactly sure why shelf life would even be part of the discussion. You should be using your spray bottles, not watching them get old. I have a spray bottle full of Saniclean for every tank and still have to replenish well before even having to give shelf life any kind of consideration.
                          It's more convenient and time efficient to mix at larger batches to fill a spray bottle with, rather than multiple smaller mixes.

Comment

Originally posted by sbradt View Post
                            For what it's worth, the 95% ethanol option brings to mind the fact (as I remember it) that a more dilute alcohol solution, be it isopropyl or ethanol, is supposed to be a faster kill. Something to do with the higher water % allowing it to enter the cell faster I think. As a result I think that a 70-80% alcohol may be more effective. Just another case of more is not necessarily better. Anyone else able to corroborate?
                            a little late to the party but yes

70% is far more effective than 91% or 95% iso or ethanol

the water in solution helps assimilate the alcohol into the cell where it can denature proteins, not only that but 70% doesn't evaporate as quickly so it acts for a longer time, with stronger action.

in the lab we buy 91% isopropyl for flame sterilizing but dilute it to 70% for sampling tanks.
                            to dilute 91% to 70% is very easy
                            add 30ml of distilled water to 100ml of 91% and you have 130ml of 70%
                            I hope I encouraged you!

Comment

Working...
                            X