Keg Filling shutoff / reverse FOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keg Filling shutoff / reverse FOB

GWKent has this nifty keg filler that shuts off when the keg is full via a little float that floats in the presence of beer, sealing the vent valve shut when the keg is full.

Anyone know where I can source just that little shutoff valve? Or maybe I could turn an FOB upside-down???

Try Foxx, I think that is where I got mine.
    Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
    Chairman of the Beer
    Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
    Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
    W: www.lovibonds.com
    F: LovibondsBrewery
    T: @Lovibonds

Comment

I just ordered on of those units from GW Kent, I'll post my evaluation after I receive it and use it for a bit. I did ask several questions of them, but they only had limited info. I think its just a a type of FOB mounted on a 45 elbow between the coupler and the ball valve. If the FOB has a part #/manufacturer on it, I'll also post. My major concern is that it hopefully has some pressure relief setting so its not just letting CO2 blow off too rapidly. We currently use adjustable PRV's set at 12-15 PSI on the blow-off side of our filling heads.

Comment

I used to work at a place that used the vent valves from solar water heating systems. They worked perfectly for filling and were super compact, and stopped as soon as liquid got to the valve. This is what I plan on tracking down for my next brewery.

Comment

Keg Filling shutoff / reverse FOB

Originally posted by Beersmith
          I just ordered on of those units from GW Kent, I'll post my evaluation after I receive it and use it for a bit. I did ask several questions of them, but they only had limited info. I think its just a a type of FOB mounted on a 45 elbow between the coupler and the ball valve. If the FOB has a part #/manufacturer on it, I'll also post. My major concern is that it hopefully has some pressure relief setting so its not just letting CO2 blow off too rapidly. We currently use adjustable PRV's set at 12-15 PSI on the blow-off side of our filling heads.
          Hi Beersmith,
          I'm eager to hear about this precious piece of keg filler.
          Do you have that vent valve ("inverted FOB") part #?
          Any other kind of info? Pictures, instructions, etc?
          Does it have OVP?
          As for your understanding, could it be done DIY?
          Thank you.

Comment

The flow rate of beer into the keg is determined by how far open you crack the valve after the "FOB" detector.

Comment

any idea where to get just the pressure relief valves anyone?
              www.beerontheriver.com

Comment

Originally posted by v2comp
                any idea where to get just the pressure relief valves anyone?
                Relieves pressure while filtering from one keg to another plus allowing reading the pressure in the receiving keg. Free shipping over $59

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Look for spundaparat, spunding valve, bleeder valve, bundging valve

Comment

Hey Beersmith,
                  We just ordered a few of these and are having trouble with them. Were you able to get them to work successfully?
                  Cheers,
                  Brian
                  Bold City Brewery

Comment

Howdy,

Sorry about the delay. We could not get the coupler with the fob to work the way we wanted for keg filling, so we are back to using the PRV's that are factory set to 15 PSI. I may try putting that fob back on at some point and tinker with it to see if it could work with some modifications. Hope that helps.

Comment

Howdy,

Sorry about the delay. We could not get the coupler with the fob to work the way we wanted for keg filling, so we are back to using the PRV's that are factory set to 15 PSI. I may try putting that fob back on at some point and tinker with it to see if it could work with some modifications. Hope that helps.

Thanks Beersmith. We can't get the FOB to stop shooting beer 15ft in the air!!
                      Cheers,
                      Brian
                      Bold City Brewery

Comment

I use the unit from GW Kent and it works great, except you have to rotate the cut-off ball-float thingie 90 degrees to fit it onto a 1/6th. No problems on 1/2's.

Comment

Been thru 2 of these, no luck.

I picked up one of these a while back, put it into use, watched it shoot beer across the room. Granted, it shoots it slower than an open beer hose on a pressurized tank, so there is SOME restriction. But it's supposed to stop.

Contacted GW Kent, and they won't take it back because it's "used". I'd call it defective, but it's a matter of perspective. A right one and a wrong one, I'd say. Maybe they're getting lots of calls on this. The sent me a new plastic ball-float-valve, but it's no better than the original.

So I've pissed away a couple hundred bucks on a paperweight, and still no auto-shutoff/liquid detection solution in hand.

So we're still spilling beer on the floor with each keg filled.
                          Cheers,
                          Scott

Comment

I've had similar levels of "service" from that particular supplier.

Comment

Not me. I've always been pretty happy with their gear and service... but come to think of it, I never had to return anything. And when there's a problem, that's always when you see who you are REALLY dealing with.
                              Cheers,
                              S

Comment

Working...
                              X