New York brand label registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York brand label registration

For a microbrewery in NYS solely selling keg beer, what is required for federal and state brand label registration? Must a tap handle design be submitted for registration like a bottle label would? I'm not sure if you have to submit each type of beer available on draft and register them individually.

Are you selling your beer on-premise (brewpub) or off-premise(microbrewery)?

If you're a brewpub and your beer is strictly sold on-site then you need to fill out a Brand Label Registration for each beer, but you can note on the form "Tap Handle Registration Only". If you make less than 1500 bbls of the this beer then there is no fee. You only need to tell them the name of the beer, if you want to send a photocopy of the tap handle sign that's probably a good idea too.

If you're selling to other bars & restaraunts (or if you want to pour your beer off site at a festival) then you need to do the whole shebang. You need a COLA from the TTB, then you need to submit that COLA along with your Brand Label Registration (in duplicat) to the NY SLA.

The COLA part is pretty quick. You can do it online and it usually turns around quickly. The NY part takes longer. Sometimes a 6-12 weeks depending...

If you have questions check out the NYSLA website, or call the wholesale division. They're usually helpful & friendly if you have specific questions.
    Hutch Kugeman
    Head Brewer
    Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
    Hyde Park, NY

Comment

So Hutch. I thought (hoped) the SLA timeframe would be much quicker. If this is the case, does this mean that I cannot sell any beer for potentially 2-3 months after I get my TTB & SLA licenses (Microbrewers & Wholesale). I was figuring on a month tops. This would not be good.

Thanks

Evan Klein
      Barrier Brewing Co.
      Owner/Head Brewer
      3595 Lawson Blvd., Unit E
      Oceanside, NY 11572
      (516) 316-4429
      Monday – Thursday: 12 – 10 pm Friday & Saturday: 12 – 11 pm Sunday: 12 – 8 pm *OPEN EASTER SUNDAY 3/31 12-8pm* 3001 New Street, Unit A2, Oceanside, NY 11572 Directions Email: info@barrierbrewing.
      Evan Klein
      Barrier Brewing Co.
      Founder/Brewmaster
      3001 New St.
      Oceanside, NY 11572
      www.barrierbrewing.com

Comment

Cant sell anything until you have the state paperwork in hand. technically you can't even brew until everything is in place.

Comment

Evan,
          Once you have your brewer's notice and state license, go ahead and file the COLA (and then NY Brand Label). Just file one for each beer name you plan on making. You don't need to send in beer samples or anything else, just the paperwork. SO there's no reason you can't register the names of beers that don't exist yet.

At my previous job running a brewpub about once a year I would file every name I could think of that I might possibly brew. Most of the names I used, but many I never got around to using. Many were also generic ("Blah Blah Brewing Company Summer Ale" or "Seasonal") just so I had some names in my back pocket.

I would say that for the COLA and NYS brand label you're probably looking at 1 month at the shortest and 12 weeks at the longest. Assuming you fill out all the stuff correctly and don't get the form bounced back for any reason...

Good luck!
          Hutch Kugeman
          Head Brewer
          Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
          Hyde Park, NY

Comment

Working...
          X