acidulated nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• acidulated nightmare

So we got a free sack of acidulated malt (Weyermann Saurzmalt) from our malt dealer. Being the idiot I can be I told my brewer to "just use it up" so he added a little to several batches in place of the base malt. We had no idea what this stuff would do but I encourage new ideas in hope to make beneficial discoveries.

It's horrible. Beers have a terrible acidity to them. Our Irish Red got the worst of it. Funny thing is though some people like it better so we're running it out instead of dumping. At least 9 kegs to dispense. Lesson learned. Don't do what I did.

Always taste a malt before tossing it in the mash blindly. Acidulated tastes quite sour. Bet you don't do that again.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

sauermalz

Originally posted by Brew Chef
      So we got a free sack of acidulated malt (Weyermann Saurzmalt) from our malt dealer. Being the idiot I can be I told my brewer to "just use it up" so he added a little to several batches in place of the base malt. We had no idea what this stuff would do but I encourage new ideas in hope to make beneficial discoveries.

It's horrible. Beers have a terrible acidity to them. Our Irish Red got the worst of it. Funny thing is though some people like it better so we're running it out instead of dumping. At least 9 kegs to dispense. Lesson learned. Don't do what I did.

Hey Brew Chef, what happened. There are a lot of Craft brewers (and some big ones...) who use Weyermann Sauermalz. I never had any problems, the pH was altimes in check; Flavor was better than before.
      I would contact the Weyermanns and discuss the problem with them.
      If you need their email address, please contact me
      Cheers
      Fred
      Fredscheer07@comcast.net

Comment

Sauermalz

I second Fred's recommendation. Acidulated malt is a great tool. It sounds like too much of it was used.

Comment

What the hell did you think would happen?

Ok excuse the friendly hazing lol, Acidulated malt it potent stuff, as little as 5% in your grain bill can produce soured flavors. What is your malt bill weight, how much acid malt was added? 1% will reduce your mash pH by 0.1. Unless your water pH is out of whack or your trying to brew a Berliner Weiss, I be interested in hearing other significant uses for it.

Comment

I use about 10 lbs. in a 7 gallon batch of my lighter pale beers and have never had a problem. The grain bill varies from 375 to 425 for a batch, and I think that it tastes better with it than with out it.

Jim Lieb
            Rocky River Brewing Co.

Comment

425lbs in a 7 gallon batch! Potent brew my friend. Im just bustin your chops, Im assuming you meant 7 Bbls.
              Big Willey
              "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

usage

I think it was simply a problem of using to much.

Cheers

Comment

Good thing it wasn't Sinamar!

Or your customers would have black teeth for a week! A little of that goes a long way!
                  Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
                  X