Dry Hopping & Gelatin Fining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Hopping & Gelatin Fining

I recently opened a 1bbl brewery in Oceanside, NY (south shore of Long Island). As such, these are the first times that I have brewed beer with this equipment. My question is in regards to dry hopping methodology. My IPA calls for the use of ~1lb of pellet hops for dry hopping, and I added them (loose pellets) to the fermenter (I've tried straining bags but was unhappy with the flavor/aroma profile). I am not going to filter beer but was planning on using gelatin. I have 1bbl conical FVs. I added the dry hops with about 10% to go in the primary fermentation and dropped the temp down to 65F. After 4-5 days I dropped the temp to 35F. Its been 2 days at these cold temps. After the beer drops clear (naturally or through the use of gelatin) I will rack into kegs and carbonate.

My questions are as follows:

1) Do you recommend dry hopping pellets loose or in bags?
    2) How long do you allow for the hops to settle into the cone and at what temp?
    3) When do you add gelatin and does it remove any of the hop particulate from suspension? ( I know it primarily focuses on yeast and protein/polyphenols but thought it might have an ancillary effect on the hops)
    4) Anything I'm missing or anything that you guys would do differently?

I don't know if these questions directly apply to any of your operations, but any info you guys/gals can give me regarding your thoughts on dry hopping techniques would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your responses

Sincerely,
    Evan Klein
    Barrier Brewing Co.
    Founder/Brewmaster
    3001 New St.
    Oceanside, NY 11572
    www.barrierbrewing.com

As another nano-brewer who racks into kegs from the FV, I would recommend using a bag for dryhopping if you're not going to filter. I use a filter after FV so I just toss pellets in loose and I dont get any larger particulates in the beer.

Dry hopping is done differently by everyone. The temp profile and time that you add will determine the taste and aroma profile of the beer. There really isn't a right or wrong way to do it, in my opinion. Just understand that the solubility and physical state of hops oils and extracts changes at different temps.

Andrew
    Andrew Godley
    Parish Brewing Co.
    Broussard, Louisiana

Comment

As far as how long, I know from homebrewing experience that beyond about 2 weeks dry hopping will give a green chlorophyl flavor to your beer, making it seem like you are chewing grass.
      -Lyle C. Brown
      Brewer
      Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

Congrats on the brewery. For me, I like pellets, they are easy to use, work well for aromatics and do drop out with time and the adddition of gelatin. I like to work the hops in 3 to 4 days into fermentation, let them play in the warm wort for another 3 to 4, crash it (35) floss the beer and drop in some gelatin and let it rest for another few days, floss every day a little and bingo it's ready to rack into ST where I also use a little gelatin via a stand pipe. Easy. BTW I only use 1/2 lb / bbl

Comment

Working...
        X