GPM and PSI for pump size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Tim-
    Are these the 10bbl Newlands tanks we sold you this winter? If you'd like to pm me I can walk you through any questions about the tanks and cip on them. We have two different portable cip pumps, and one is oversized- oversizing doesn't improve performance and you can run into cavitation issues etc. We typically would alternate between sodium hydroxide and pbw, both have advantages and disadvantages. We do acid rinse as well with acid #5 from 5 star. HP of pumps is only one consideration, pump speed and impeller are perhaps more important- I bet there are 1/2 horse pumps that could cip those tanks, though I wouldn't advise it. Length of hose in your loop can be an issue as well. We really loved those tanks, I was sorry to see them go, but they only fit 10 bbls- we never had any problem with adequate cip. Feel free to PM or call 410-251-8544 I'd be glad to share any info I have.

Cheers
    geoff
    Geoff DeBisschop
    Evolution Craft Brewing Company
    Delmar, DE

Comment

Hello Geoff,

They are your tanks. I as well love using them and the 1/2 horse pump will work, but a bigger pump is needed. Thanks for your offer I sent you a pm. Maybe we can catch up on the phone this week and talk. Thanks.

The great pump mystery is slowly unraveling. The pump curves don't look so scary anymore. I have an APV pump housing at the brewery with a 3.25 inch impeller and a 1/2 horse motor with 1725 rpm's. I'm thinking I could upgrade the motor to 1 1/2 horse with 3,500 rpm's and buy a bigger impeller from APV if needed. What do you think of that solution?

thanks
      tim

Comment

Tim, might just need a new high speed motor. Send me a PM with the curves, or links thereto. Can't tell you much without them. Cheers!
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
        X