Drywall in brewery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drywall in brewery

We are looking at leasing a space for our brewery and are wondering how others have dealt with moisture and drywall in the same area? Other than not spraying water on it or covering with FRP or metal roofing panels is there anything else we should be considering? I have read in other posts about having to put in extra layers of drywall for fire protection which seems bogus but what about mold and issues with constantly elevated levels of humidity? Any help you can provide is most appreciated.

Jason.

Not an issue for me but I would venture that in a leased space you're limited by what the property owner will allow. Sheetrock (drywall) can be sealed and there are several products (paints) on the market that will work, but; that won't inhibit mold growth.

That would be my only recomendation, and ventilation, ventilation, ventilation.

Let us know what you decide and what your land lord allows.

Cheers :mug:

Comment

While it stinks like hell, you could epoxy paint the drywall. I've got FRP and highly reccomend it for the regular abuse areas. The one wall we do have that was a mix of cinder block and drywall in a low abuse area was covered with 2 coats of epoxy paint.

Works great, and it's easy to clean the wall. Regardless, with poor ventilation, you can bet you'll attract black mold and no amount of cleaning or wall coverings will help.

Comment

I always thought it was quite common to put pvc paneling over drywall in breweries and restaurant kitchens. It's very common in the back area of restaurants, and has been in at least one brewery I've worked at in the past.

Comment

Try "bathroom paint" with anti mold additive. your local ACE or home depot will know how to mix this up, some even come with the additive already in them. But frp/pvc is best. no wait- tile is best...
          Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
          tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
          "Your results may vary"

Comment

Frp

I will second, or third, FRP. Just be sure to seal all of the joints with some high grade silicone or a permanent flexible sealant (i.e. Dap 3.0 all purpose sealant).

Maybe paint with the mold inhibiting paint Ted mentioned and then cover with FRP.
            Last edited by Jephro; 07-10-2010, 09:59 AM.
            Jeff Byrne

Comment

Frp! Frp! Frp!

Go Frp!!!!
              Glacier Brewing Company
              406-883-2595
              info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

There are disadvantages to FRP, especially if layered over drywall that can absorb moisture. It doesn't allow the wall to breathe, so moisture can build up, causing mold, and the mold can cause structural damage. It is a good idea to use a non-absorbent drywall product behind the FRP to prevent this from happening. Metal studs are also preferable.

Comment

Working...
                X