Owning a Meadery & Brewery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owning a Meadery & Brewery

I have a question. I am licensed with the TTB and TABC (Texas) for my Meadery (Winery license basicly). Does anybody know if it is possible to own and opperate a brewery at the same time if they are in different buildings. I hired an alcohol licensing agency to investigate, and if all is clear I will have them pursue licensing my brewery.

Any know roadblocks?
    John McKissack
    Texas Big Beer Brewery
    Newton County, Texas

well, I just got off the phone with the guy from craftbeerlocator.com and he said there is a Meadery in Michigan that is getting a Brewery license also (but is not licensed yet, so that don't help.) I was surprised of the zero response here. I guess nobody owns both a meadery (winery) and a brewery. Hey, what about DogFish Head, I know he has a distillery also? If I can just find out if it is legally allows, I will instruct the licensing agency to proceed. Any leads or help is appreciated.
    John McKissack
    Texas Big Beer Brewery
    Newton County, Texas

Comment

Call TTB

Why don't you call the TTB?
      Cheers!
      -Alan

Comment

Originally posted by johnnymax
        well, I just got off the phone with the guy from craftbeerlocator.com and he said there is a Meadery in Michigan that is getting a Brewery license also (but is not licensed yet, so that don't help.) I was surprised of the zero response here. I guess nobody owns both a meadery (winery) and a brewery. Hey, what about DogFish Head, I know he has a distillery also? If I can just find out if it is legally allows, I will instruct the licensing agency to proceed. Any leads or help is appreciated.
        Distillery and winery are very different. It is my understanding (backed up by concurrence of Dave from Redstone) that Federal Law prohibits malt on the grounds of a winery...and also classifies a Meadery as a winery.
        -Lyle C. Brown
        Brewer
        Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

I used to have a winery(meadary) license in Montana, and was in the process of getting a distilling license just as the economy went to hell. According to the TTB, one person may hold a brewery, winery, and distillery license if there are in their own separate buildings, or, as in a strip mall-like building case, each license suite must be physically separated by permanent walls.
          I was told this by 3 different agents at TTB, so you can take that as you like.
          Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

LOL, well, after 15 months fighting my way through the Winery licensing, I just hired a licensing agency to do it all for me this time. But I was told the same thing as far as divided designated areas, because malt is not allowed on the winery premises. Once the licensing agency is certain for both State and Fed it will be flank speed ahead on the licensing. I have had the State tell me it was legal, but I need to be sure before I start sinking money on surety bonds, etc.
            I figured that if I could talk to somebody who has both a winery and a brewery that would be proof. The only problem I can think of is the fact that the winery is also retail license to sell wine. Breweries in Texas are on the 3 tier system. No roadblocks yet. The wife it managing the winery and I the Brewery.

thanks for your response.
            John McKissack
            Texas Big Beer Brewery
            Newton County, Texas

Comment

new brewpub Please help!!!

Does anyone have any solid advice when it comes to opening a brewpub. Right now my partner and I are all over the place with ideas and lack structure. So far restaurantowner.com has been great but we want real world advice. We have both worked in the restaurant industry for many years but starting from scratch is a whole new ballgame. Any help ,even minor, would be great. Hope to hear a flood of ideas. No thought is to small!
              Thanks and cheers!

Comment

Brewpossee, if you take a look around here, you might find that most of your questions have already been answered.

Comment

I found this artcle on Wineries that Brew, so it is legal with th TTB
                  John McKissack
                  Texas Big Beer Brewery
                  Newton County, Texas

Comment

You could try and contact Wagner Valley in Lodi, New York. They have both a winery and brewery.
                    Hutch Kugeman
                    Head Brewer
                    Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
                    Hyde Park, NY

Comment

it is legal with the TTB - you just need a separate license - I think Texas also allows it

The trickier part will be dealing with the state rather than the TTB. Many states don't allow the same group of owners to own more than one alcohol manufacturing business

Good luck!

Anda
                      I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

It has been 3 years now, LOL

We have our brewery licensed and just started production and now we are in the process on moving the Meadery right next to the Brewery. It is in a different County and it is like starting over.
                        I am glad I was not in a hurry....
                        John McKissack
                        Texas Big Beer Brewery
                        Newton County, Texas

Comment

Good luck with your brewing, but what I really want to say is thanks for coming back and letting us know how it all turned out. There are so many posts here where you wonder what ever happened in the end, they leave you hanging.
                          Happy Brewing!
                          Mike Lanzarotta
                          Commercial Real Estate Broker
                          finding space for breweries in Southern California
                          former owner and brewer, Crown City Brewery, Pasadena CA

Comment

Head Brewer/Co Owner

Originally posted by johnnymax View Post
                            LOL, well, after 15 months fighting my way through the Winery licensing, I just hired a licensing agency to do it all for me this time. But I was told the same thing as far as divided designated areas, because malt is not allowed on the winery premises. Once the licensing agency is certain for both State and Fed it will be flank speed ahead on the licensing. I have had the State tell me it was legal, but I need to be sure before I start sinking money on surety bonds, etc.
                            I figured that if I could talk to somebody who has both a winery and a brewery that would be proof. The only problem I can think of is the fact that the winery is also retail license to sell wine. Breweries in Texas are on the 3 tier system. No roadblocks yet. The wife it managing the winery and I the Brewery.

thanks for your response.
                            Any updates on the Winery/Brewery combo? I've got a similar idea in mind for Central Texas

Comment

Yes an individual can own both. They can not be on the same premise. But you can serve both at both as long as you sell both to a distributor and buy back from a distributor. If you want to serve the Mead on the brewery premise it must go thru distribution and vise versa. As said they can not have adjoining doors. You must leave one premise to enter the other premise. Kuhnhenn, Dragonmead, and I am forgetting a few more in Detroit do this. See Small Farm Winery laws in your state for more details, what I posted above is the TTBs take.
                              Joel Halbleib
                              Partner / Zymurgist
                              Hive and Barrel Meadery
                              6302 Old La Grange Rd
                              Crestwood, KY
                              www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Working...
                              X