X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pros Only

From another thread about ratings sites:
    "Lastly, you don't even need to be in the industry to sign up on the site ... some people are completely anonymous there." Jason Alstrom, Beer Advocate
    My response:
    "Yes this is a problem with pro brewer- one I wish they would fix. I dont give much weight to any opinion voiced by an unidentified source there. Thus, almost every opinion here (on BA) is immaterial to me."
    SO-I propose Admin starts requiring full name and employment info in the sign up and that they be listed in your public profile. Of course, just like MBAA membership, allied trades and would be accepted.
    Thoughts?
    Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
    tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
    "Your results may vary"

Ted,
    I see where you're coming from and I'm not saying I don't agree. One question though, would students/aspiring professional brewers be allowed on the site? From my experience with the New England Chapter of the MBAA, we always welcomed and encouraged students (college/grad/ and those applying for Siebel,ABG,Cal-Davis ect) to attend and be involved. What about individuals who are in that position? Also, what about brewers who've worked professionally but are currently unemployed and looking to get back into the industry. I've seen many posts here from such individuals and they have provided a lot of valuable insight.
    Cheers,
    Mike Roy
    Brewmaster
    Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
    5123 Baltimore Ave
    Hyattsville,MD 20781
    301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
    @franklinsbrwry
    facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

I'm not for it. For what we discuss it doesn't matter. I do think the forum should be limited to brewers, brewery owners, brewery students, etc. The reason mbaa chapters let students in as members is simple, dues.
      Cheers!
      David R. Pierce

Comment

I am against it. Having just recently turned pro but having been a member here for several years, I never would have gone pro had it not been for this site and the invaluable resource it is. Like any public forum there are those who are unqualified and/or dicks but it doesn't take long to figure out who they are.
        Tim Eichinger
        Visit our website blackhuskybrewing.com

Comment

hey, maybe you can remember a few years ago we went through this very thing when I proposed the same question... that thread was deleted... but it was entertaining. I even had a person chase me from the BA site and sign on here, he called me out and embarassed himself... funny thing is I hear the guy is owning a brewery now a days... Internet is as internet does...
          www.Lervig.no

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Murphy
            hey, maybe you can remember a few years ago we went through this very thing when I proposed the same question... that thread was deleted... but it was entertaining. I even had a person chase me from the BA site and sign on here, he called me out and embarassed himself... funny thing is I hear the guy is owning a brewery now a days... Internet is as internet does...
            We could give that guy some pretty sweet service. Can you out him?
            Cheers!
            David R. Pierce

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Briggs
              SO-I propose Admin starts requiring full name and employment info in the sign up and that they be listed in your public profile. Of course, just like MBAA membership, allied trades and would be accepted.
              Thoughts?
              So then we should eliminate the "Help Wanted" and "Available for Hire" sections of the classifieds?

I wish that suggestion would eliminate basic knowledge questions and bad advice, but unfortunately there's still plenty that comes from people working in breweries as well.

--Gabe Wilson
              (UC Davis Master Brewers Program 2004, previous brewer at Sacramento Brewing Company and previous owner/master brewer of Cerveceria K&S in Costa Rica, currently working on my next project but not actively working in a brewery)

Comment

It wouldn't hurt to have members brewing PHD's under their log in. Something other than "Registered User" could read: "Head Brewer", Cellar Manager", "Pub Owner", Brewery Owner", "Home Brewer", "Production Manager", "Assistant Brewer", "Bottle Line Dude", etc.

Scott Maurer
                Head Brewer, and everything else
                North Jetty Brewing Co. (in my garage)
                Florence, Oregon

Comment

Purge it

I'm all for banning amateurs and homebrewers: people like Dave Miller, John Palmer, Charlie Papazian, Michael Lewis, George Fix, Charles Bamforth. Who needs these clowns? What could they possibly teach you? There are plenty of other online forums where they can share their dubious, non-professional opinions.

Ban the lot of 'em, i say.

Comment

Originally posted by wiredgourmet
                    I'm all for banning amateurs and homebrewers: people like Dave Miller, John Palmer, Charlie Papazian, Michael Lewis, George Fix, Charles Bamforth. Who needs these clowns? What could they possibly teach you? There are plenty of other online forums where they can share their dubious, non-professional opinions.

Ban the lot of 'em, i say.
                    George Fix passed away a number of years ago and Dave Miller just retired from professional brewing last year, 1991 - 2009.
                    Cheers!
                    David R. Pierce

Comment

Originally posted by HinduKush
                      George Fix passed away a number of years ago and Dave Miller just retired from professional brewing last year, 1991 - 2009.
                      Which invalidates my point how, exactly? Because George is dead he is no longer an example of someone you might want to listen to? As for Dave Miller, i read a book he wrote ages ago in which I recall him identifying himself as a homebrewer. Perhaps my memory is poor, but does it matter? I think he's worth hearing even if he is/was never a pro. That's the point i was making.

One of the most interesting threads I've followed here in a long time is the one about olive oil. http://www.probrewer.com/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=17419 Started by a brewer, but a good supporting reference linked in it is, if i recall correctly, written by a graduate student.

Comment

Originally posted by wiredgourmet
                        Which invalidates my point how, exactly? Because George is dead he is no longer an example of someone you might want to listen to? As for Dave Miller, i read a book he wrote ages ago in which I recall him identifying himself as a homebrewer. Perhaps my memory is poor, but does it matter? I think he's worth hearing even if he is/was never a pro. That's the point i was making.

One of the most interesting threads I've followed here in a long time is the one about olive oil. http://www.probrewer.com/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=17419 Started by a brewer, but a good supporting reference linked in it is, if i recall correctly, written by a graduate student.
                        Wasn't trying to invalidate anything. Dave Miller joined the professional brewing ranks in late 1991 as the original brewmaster for the Schlafly Taproom in St. Louis. He left in 94 or 95 to open the Blackstone Brewery in Nashville, TN. PB member TNbrewer now has the reins as brewmaster, but has actually done probably 90% of the brewing since 1999. Word on the street is Dave is working on another book. Does it matter? Not as far as I can see.
                        Cheers!
                        David R. Pierce

Comment

Originally posted by HinduKush
                          Wasn't trying to invalidate anything.
                          I mis-read you. Chalk it up to another forum where I'm active, and where people compulsively undermine each other's arguments. It's a fun community, but it makes you a little paranoid I see you were just clearing up a couple of factual items.

Comment

hmmm.......how about a "brewery personnel lounge"? One discussion thread/category which requires Admin approval to see and participate. Would be a bit of work for the admin to vet all inquiries to join.....just a thought.

Would be nice to have a place to bitch,whine and cavetch about things in our industry, without the whole world seeing it.

I agree that the wealth of information here on this site as a whole should be accesible to anyone with an interest in our indusrtry.

JackK

Comment

I have never seen Papazian post here nor I believe anyone else on your list. Have you? Not saying I am for it at all, but shouldn't we leave this to the admins of this site? Frankly this sounds like a lot of work for them. Just how would the admins go about validating and keeping up with all our work habits. What would prevent someone from saying,"oh yea I work for dorkwater brewing in Katmandu. You get my point. I think to ask them for a Premium forum for pros only, you are looking at a fee.
                              Joel Halbleib
                              Partner / Zymurgist
                              Hive and Barrel Meadery
                              6302 Old La Grange Rd
                              Crestwood, KY
                              www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Working...
                              X