No announcement yet.

Brewery wages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I make $12 an hour at my first brewing job. I am happy to make that and I still feel stoked every time I think about the fact that I did the same work for free during a couple of internships.

I do not, however, have health insurance through my job. I would love to, and I understand that it's not entirely possible for every employer to offer it, but it's very important to me. Luckily it looks like I will be able to get on my girlfriend's health insurance as a domestic partner. If I could give you any advice, it's to make sure your brewer can get on a health plan. Everyone should have it.

Also, a little paid vacation would be a cool incentive, even if the salary is not super high. Maybe if they work over a year you could offer some paid vacation or a paid trip to GABF.

Also, it's very nice that we get a free couple of pints after work (we don't drink on the job except to taste), and get an occasional growler fill for the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by fcaseyf
      If you switch up your control panel you can. I run Red Lion DLC's through an HMI that is hooked up to our server through an ethernet cable. I can check and change temps on my phone now.
      Damm Casey, do you come into work at all anymore? Hee-hee
      Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
      tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
      "Your results may vary"

Comment

expectations

brewers that own the process do deserve the cash since they actually care and are really making someone else prosperous cause of their ethics. benefits Including a decent wage. free beer within reason of course. don't people hire with a probation period and then the wage increase anymore?

I totally disagree with the age warranting pay though. come on, a 35 year old isn't necessarily a better brewer than a 25 year old with the same amount of work experience. work experience and initiative and gut feeling can play a bigger role than someone being older.

I have a family so I have expectations.

Comment

Yep I have expectations as well, I'm kind of tired of people defending the fact that they are brewing beer so it doesn't matter if they make little and get no benefits, it's tough though because I really love what I do. I guess the best I can say is that you just have to find a brewery that will take care of you, or in my case hopefully I'll be able to start my own place, I'll make even less and work harder but I know it will be rewarding.
          Last edited by farmbrewernw; 10-02-2010, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X