HDP/Custom Brew Single Head Filler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDP/Custom Brew Single Head Filler

I just bought a single head filler from someone and can really use a set of instructions. Even if someone has a multi-head HDP filler and cares to share their instructions that would be great. I might be able to figure out enough from even those instructions I don't wreck the thing, not familiar with them.

-Flounder
    Flounder Brewing Co., LLC
    Hillsborough, NJ
    flounder@flounderbrewing.com
    Jeremy "Flounder" Lees
    Owner
    Hillsborough, NJ

Don't have any paper work but have run one a few times. What are your symptoms?
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

no symptoms, just never used one at all and don't have the slightest clue how to use it is the problem.
      Jeremy "Flounder" Lees
      Owner
      Hillsborough, NJ

Comment

Inlets are, compressed air, CO2, and beer. Outlet should have a bleeder valve on it. They varied a bit in design from what I have seen. Mine had a switch, it would either be set in run or CIP. CIP just opens the flow valve on the beer line so you can feed whatever you want through it. Run is for filling, ours has an photoelectric eye so it would not pressurize a bottle unless the shield was down.
        The bleeder was tricky to set, and I am sure would be even if you had directions. It depends on temp and pressure. You have to keep the fob sensors very clean or they will not detect when the bottle is full correctly. They are the two screws with wires connected to the fill head. Best to run a CIP before and after every run.
        Last edited by BrewinLou; 10-11-2010, 01:16 PM.
        Joel Halbleib
        Partner / Zymurgist
        Hive and Barrel Meadery
        6302 Old La Grange Rd
        Crestwood, KY
        www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

can you PM so I can ask you some questions off the forum?

flounderbrewing@gmail.com
          Jeremy "Flounder" Lees
          Owner
          Hillsborough, NJ

Comment

Originally posted by jl07960
            can you PM so I can ask you some questions off the forum?

flounderbrewing@gmail.com
            And cheat the rest of us out of good information? I'm interested as well.
            Cheers!
            David R. Pierce

Comment

Did you change any of the programming or just take a look at it? Have you run that puppy yet?
              Joel Halbleib
              Partner / Zymurgist
              Hive and Barrel Meadery
              6302 Old La Grange Rd
              Crestwood, KY
              www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Ah, sorry, i'll try to keep most of my questions on here for the good of all of us!

I haven't run it yet, nor changed anything in programming. I just got it in. I got the hook ups and all easy to figure out, it was well labeled, but that's about it. What are the preps and then actual running procedure. Its a single head, only has 2 buttons (start and stop). It may sound really elementary but like I said I never used one of these. So basically I need to figure out how to go about setting pressure, actually getting through the process of setting the bottle in and starting the procedure. Just never done it before so I don't know where to start and don't want to break anything either since it was a pretty good deal on the thing.
                Jeremy "Flounder" Lees
                Owner
                Hillsborough, NJ

Comment

I've got a 2 head 2007 model. They have changed radically over the years from the joystick models in the '90's. Does yours have a PLC output display on the front door? The manual is fairly generic but if you need something, I could copy it. Our brewery is about 5 blocks from HDP. Let me know

rcreighton@grandriverbrewing.com

Comment

There is no PLC, its not the joy stick model. Its simply 2 buttons (start and stop) and 2 lights (on and ready). I was imagining some sort of programming ability or settings or something, not quite sure how to use it in regards to setting pressure and all, if it automatically does that or not and youj simply inert the bottle, close it up and click start. Have no idea. I tried attaching a pic (first time trying on the forum) so hopefully it's here when I click next.

In regards to that copy of the 2 head ones instructions, if you wouldn't mind I wouldn't mind taking a look at them, I might be able to piece some info together to figure it out from other operating manuals.
                    Attached Files
                    Jeremy "Flounder" Lees
                    Owner
                    Hillsborough, NJ

Comment

On our three head there is a regulator for the compressed air. The CO2 pressure has to be adjust so there is no regulator included. I usually just ran a line from the same line going to the beer tank I was bottling from. Be aware you may need to increase pressure to get proper fills. This is going to be a lot easier than the three head. Have you looked inside the back at the guts, also have you opened the case holding the buttons? There should be a controller in there.
                      Joel Halbleib
                      Partner / Zymurgist
                      Hive and Barrel Meadery
                      6302 Old La Grange Rd
                      Crestwood, KY
                      www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

HDP Filler

There is a PLC controller in there and also a very sensitive pressure switch for the CO2, which after age and shipping needs adjusted most of the time. I have some trouble shooting explainations on how to set the pressure switch from HDP that I can fax you and the directions for the recommended proper differentials on inlet beer and co2 counterpressure and air pressure. I run the book 40lb of air pressure for the cylinder and if using a keg use a 2# to 3# pressure differential for the incoming beer above the counterpressure setting. We need 2 sets of regulators on our automatic HDP fillers the joy stick ones are easier to get away with issues by adjusting the outlet speed of the co2 being expelled during filling. Also these units have a short and long CIP cycle - and rinse cysle, very neat and handy at the end of the day. We have 3 of the automatic units form HDP with the Custom Brew label.
                        Anything specific I can lend - let me know.

Originally posted by BrewinLou
                        On our three head there is a regulator for the compressed air. The CO2 pressure has to be adjust so there is no regulator included. I usually just ran a line from the same line going to the beer tank I was bottling from. Be aware you may need to increase pressure to get proper fills. This is going to be a lot easier than the three head. Have you looked inside the back at the guts, also have you opened the case holding the buttons? There should be a controller in there.
                        Marty

Comment

Thank you guys, now the info is flowing in!

Anyway can you e-mail the trouble shooting info you have from HDP? If not I'll have to figure out a fax, I have a day job and this is for my start-up nano

I haven't poked around inside the unit yet to find the PLC or CO2 switch or anything, I'm bringing it to my building this weekend and plan on poking around then and see what I can find. Sounds complicated but it also sounds like once you get it up and in running order it's pretty easy.

-Flounder
                          Jeremy "Flounder" Lees
                          Owner
                          Hillsborough, NJ

Comment

Originally posted by jl07960
                            Thank you guys, now the info is flowing in!

Anyway can you e-mail the trouble shooting info you have from HDP? If not I'll have to figure out a fax, I have a day job and this is for my start-up nano

I haven't poked around inside the unit yet to find the PLC or CO2 switch or anything, I'm bringing it to my building this weekend and plan on poking around then and see what I can find. Sounds complicated but it also sounds like once you get it up and in running order it's pretty easy.

-Flounder
                            The PLC should be a Direct Logic 05 from Automation Direct.
                            Attached Files
                            Cheers!
                            David R. Pierce

Comment

HDP Poking

Once you get it running properly - there is nothing in the single bottler any easier, "bottling for dummies". I would not tear in to the unit until you see what it does. I would run the CIP cycle with the unit hooked to a pressurized keg of PBW or your cleaning agent of choice. You will need to make up a "Y" hose with a Liquid Ball lock on one leg (beer in) of the Y and a gas ball lock on the other leg(CO2 in) and connect the single entry point of the Y to the keg coupler of the keg with PBW.. Keep the keg pressurized to a set pressure. More than likely the box mounted to the side of your unit has a 24V transformer that the unit runs off and feeds the PLC and selonoids in the bottler case. I have had to replace a couple of Selonoids but that is easy to find 24V washdown ones and replace them. The PLC's are normally programmed to hold the start and stop buttons down at the same time with the door closed and a 22oz bottle inplace (and the correct bottom holder) until the light changes and then press the start button to begin the CIP cycle. You will need a small air compressor to provide 40 pounds of air for the closure cylinder - DO NOT USE CO2!!!!!! will ruin seals in cylinder - the voice of experience or prior stupidity, I am not sure which now. I also have a day job but if you send me a regular email address, sometime in the next week I will try to copy the pages to a pdf or jpeg and make them available ON THE PB BLOG so I will not be sending them out 100 times. I will gladly work with any specific questions that anyone has as relating to the automatic HDP single bottler.. I don't know a whole lot but have had several years of experience trouble shooting them. I have also found the people at HDP very friendly and responsive to my inquiries over the years, they are the best source.
                              Marty

Comment

Working...
                              X