No announcement yet.

Getting paid to show up at beer tasting events and festivals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HinduKush, I totally understand where you're coming from. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't participate either.

For me the events we do are all about getting more exposure for craft beer to the masses. Ironically our local brewers don't get too involved which is surprising to me but they all want to serve their pub and nothing else so I guess that's all they need.
    Owner
    Grind Modern Burger
    PostModern Brewers
    Boise, ID

Comment

Scott,

Your industry peer must be at full capacity. I have done festivals all over the USA, granted it was the entire decade of the 1990's. To my recollection, we were never paid for beer. Also, I wouldn't want some shlepp pouring my brand for such a high value audience because he doesn't know Jack S about the brand, beer or business. Sometime's the festival is for a good cause or benefit such as "The Brew at the Zoo" in Syracuse.

SAm Adams does not need to attend. Joe Shlabotnik's "New Corner Brewery" can be expected to show up with a keg of every flavor, talk up the product with the crowd and maybe give up a tee shirt, coaster, bottle opener or whatever else you have. By the way, my brand was #3 in the NATIONS craft category in the mid 90's. We were in just 33 states.

You want to grow your brand? Get out there and push it. You don't need to be home with your kush pipe.

JW

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBred
        Scott,

Your industry peer must be at full capacity. I have done festivals all over the USA, granted it was the entire decade of the 1990's. To my recollection, we were never paid for beer. Also, I wouldn't want some shlepp pouring my brand for such a high value audience because he doesn't know Jack S about the brand, beer or business. Sometime's the festival is for a good cause or benefit such as "The Brew at the Zoo" in Syracuse.

SAm Adams does not need to attend. Joe Shlabotnik's "New Corner Brewery" can be expected to show up with a keg of every flavor, talk up the product with the crowd and maybe give up a tee shirt, coaster, bottle opener or whatever else you have. By the way, my brand was #3 in the NATIONS craft category in the mid 90's. We were in just 33 states.

You want to grow your brand? Get out there and push it. You don't need to be home with your kush pipe.

JW
        Some how you missed my point. We do promote our brand every place we can. We do not "donate: our beer to an event that is charging a fee and actually making a profit, an animal that didn't exist in the mid-90's. Charity is fine and we work with a few 501.C.3 companies when they need to raise money.

My pipe is very portable, I appreciate the personal attack nature of your comment.

Originally posted by HinduKush
        That is the case which I'm referring. We do not donate. If you buy the beer, we show up and pour, within reason and in our own market. We will generally donate a tee-shirt or pint glasses for a raffle.

The largest one day Fest in my area balked at buying the local breweries beer this year. Their argument was "we only made $68,000 last year". After paying everyone right down to the guy that cleans the port a-can, they ONLY made $68,000. They did purchase all beer legally through proper distribution, raised the price by five bucks, only after all the locals said they would not attend. The event sold out and they made a record amount.

Don't BS yourself, someone is making money off of your donated beer and it isn't you.
        Cheers!
        David R. Pierce

Comment

I apologize Hindu. I was only poking fun. My pipe broke 6 months ago and I've been cranky since. I'm sure things have changed since I was on foot last. The breweries should all get together and have a fest and split the money.

Comment

Working...
          X