Bottling - Single vs Double Pre Evac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottling - Single vs Double Pre Evac

Can anyone with experience/knowledge explain the tangible benfits of a double pre-evac filler (in lieu of a single pre-evac) for a small craft brewery?

I know double pre-evac is supposed to result in better bottle purge, but I'm curious if a single pre-evac works just fine for anyone with no difference in DO in the bottle.

Thanks.

Andrew
    Andrew Godley
    Parish Brewing Co.
    Broussard, Louisiana

I think that I have read that the general rule of thumb is that a single evac should remove about 92% of the air, a double evac about 99%.
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Hi,

In the most simple thinking:

short tube filller - double pre-evac is required due to the nature of how the bottle is filled - the beer gets thoroughly exposed to the gas in the bottle - so will pick up O2 very easily.

long tube filler - single pre-evac is fine as the bottle is filled from the bottom up, rather than running down the sides of the bottle like in a short tube filler. SMB (Germany) is one of a few manufacturers remaining that still use long-tube fillers; I believe they mainly produce smaller capacity fillers. Arguably the best way to fill beer.... (I don't know the history here; presumably long tube fillers were not able to handle high line speeds required nowadays????)

Cheers,

Alex

Comment

Thanks y'all. Great info.
        Andrew Godley
        Parish Brewing Co.
        Broussard, Louisiana

Comment

Working...
        X